The Nissan Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search...

Any big brake upgrades that will work from the Nissan parts bin? the sentra's use the adf nx2000 upgrade, the 240's use the 300zx upgrade, but what about the alty and b15 sentra? these cars share the same dia. rotors, calipers and so forth. i do know the rear brakes from a current and last gen. maxima bolt up without a problem. what about the fronts, without paying $2200 for the brembo kit.

any thoughts??

·
Playing PS2
1,350 Posts
Would like to know this as well. So anyone who knows please let us know.

Pillage

·
Cube Farmer
2,202 Posts
The first thing you would have to look at is how much clearance your wheels give you. I know that the 15" wheels on a SE give you about... NO space to work with on the front, so small wheels need not apply (first gen SE). Ive heard that the rotors are the same size as the 300ZX (not the TT) so i bet the calipers would match up with a little work (we are not talking contact patch size here). I think the size is 280mm, i could be wrong. Then there is rotor size in the aspect of the contact patch that has to be delt with... not sure about how that would work. As far as brakes go, how often do you guys bleed your brake system? I finally did mine awhile ago and it made a HUGE diffrence (the car had over 100K on it). Its also worth it to upgrade to synthetic fluid because of the boil point. Its a well spent $30, just make sure you do it right or you'll get air in the lines or a huge mess if the anti-locks get moody.

·
Money growing on trees
108 Posts
Brembo drilled rotors and Hawk Pads

I read in this thread that the calipers and the rotors from a B15 Sentra fit Altimas. Will Brembo drilled rotors + HPS Street Hawk pads (designed for a 2003 Sentra se-r spec-v, no Brembo kit) fit my OEM 1998 Altima caliper? Are the calipers and rotors the EXACT same parts on the front?

·
Premium Member
6,078 Posts
LOL Ched, you get the prize for the biggest thread bump EVER. A bump of nearly five years is quite an achievement. You'll probably get banned for it, but I salute you nonetheless.

Be sure to read the forum rules next time, there's something in there about bumping old old threads. Yeah, it's funny, people will tell you to search before you start a new thread, but want you to start a new thread before you bump an old one. Oh well, so horde.

·
Money growing on trees
108 Posts
Sorry. New member. So I understand it's a forum where we can't ask questions? New thread = Not good. Writing in old threads = not good.
I'm gonna keep searchig this forum without talking anymore, if I dont get banned...

·
Premium Member
6,078 Posts
asking questions is one thing, but if the topic has been covered and covered widely enough that there's tons of threads on it, it shouldn't be asked again UNLESS there's something substantial to add.

Example: can I swap an SR20 into my altima?
Bad. It's covered almost every month. Someone always asks it.

Versus: I'm swapping an SR20 into my Altima, does anyone have any idea if I can use the automatic transmission computer from the Altima with the automatic SR20 transmission?

Good. Because it's in depth, you're already doing some work, sounds like you've searched and read a little, and you're bringing something to the table.

see what I mean? It's not about asking questions, it's about trying to do your own work to find the answers first, then if you absolutely can't find it, ask it. And I can guarantee that 99% of the questions you can come up with have been answered to some degree in past threads. I know because I search the hell out of these forums before I make a thread. It's hard to weed through most of the BS and post whoring that goes on, but the answers are there.

BTW this isn't me getting on your case or anything, it's just fair warning as people will get nasty if you make a lot of threads based on stuff already covered.

And yes, in general, unless it's something really substantial to add to an existing thread, it's best not to bump threads up, especially if they're a year or more old.

·
King of The Powerslide
2,803 Posts
You have to ask yourself this Question.

Do you really Tax your brake System enough to merit a Bigger Brake Upgrade?
Doubtful.

I think the Q45 Caliper Is a Swap though, and Its only $400 from mossy performance.

For comparison, my Hawk + powerslot combo cost me "only" $270...

·
The Slow and the Stupid
727 Posts
With good rotor and pads, you'll be well within safe braking limits no matter any list of bolt ons you can rattle off for your altima. More imporant than trying stuff 12" rotors in a 15" stock steelie which will no doubt become rice, make sure the current braking system is in excellent functioning order and get some brembo rotors all the way around with some nice pads and SS lines.

Also remember the car is one unit that has many "sub-systems" that work together. Good tires will help you and better suspension can help out the overall feel also. Until youve done every BPU (basic performance upgrade), thrown on super-duper expensive JDM parts shipped from Japan, Nozzed your ride, wrecked it, rebuilt it, then went boosted. I wouldnt worry about brake swaps.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
In and of itself, bumping an old thread isn't the end of the world. Bumping an old thread to say, "I've done this on my car as well." is bad. Adding useful information to a topic that hasn't been discussed recently is ok.

In this case, the question was very loosely related to the original topic, and could have been put in it's own thread. However, a bit of research would've shown that since the Spec-V rotors are much bigger, OEM calipers would not be usable. Also, since this has been discussed more recently in greater detail, bumping one of those threads would have been better if they truly did not have the information you needed.

You're not getting banned or anything, just please keep these things in mind in the future.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts