The Nissan Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

This question is for a 2013 Altima 2.5S with 98k miles.

About 6 weeks ago, the brake warning light came on while on the highway. I checked the brake fluid level, and it was fine (not full, but not low), but I knew the pads were near the end of their useful life. The light was solid (not blinking), and did not come back on after the car was shut off and started again.

Last weekend I changed the rotors and pads (all of them), and the new pads resulted in the brake fluid being back at the full mark. I drove the car all weekend to break in the new pads, and today on the highway the brake warning light came on again. Just like the last time, there were no other symptoms, the brake fluid is at full, pedal pressure is good -- everything seems perfectly fine. Again, the light did not come back on after shutting down the car and restarting.

I hooked up a code reader, and there are no codes. The light has not come back on.

To the shade tree and dealer mechanics out there -- probably just an intermittent sensor fault? I'm not losing vacuum or fluid, and the ABS worked fine a few weeks ago when coming to a stop sign in the rain.

Thanks for your input!

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Never, ever assume. There are only two inputs for that light....low fluid and ebrake on.

Check this out (yes it doesn't apply to 2013+, but you could still have the underlying issue)

NTB12-011c March 7, 2013
VOLUNTARY SERVICE CAMPAIGN 2007-2012 ALTIMA SEDAN & COUPE BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER
CAMPAIGN ID #: PC125 APPLIED VEHICLES: 2007 – 2012 Altima Sedan & Coupe (L32 & CL32)
»T« his Voluntary Service Campaign DOES NOT APPLY to Altima Hybrid (L32H) vehicles
Refer to the flow chart (Repair Overview) on the next page for campaign eligibility.
INTRODUCTION
Nissan is conducting a Voluntary Service Campaign on Model Year 2007-2012 Nissan Altima (L32) Sedan and Coupe vehicles to inspect the brake system in vehicles with an illuminated brake warning lamp. Nissan dealers will inspect the brake system and confirm that no brake fluid leak is present. If no leak is present, the reservoir will be topped off. If a leak in the brake master cylinder is identified, the brake master cylinder will be replaced.
The affected vehicles are equipped with a brake warning lamp that will illuminate to alert the driver when fluid in the brake fluid reservoir is low. Fluid in the reservoir may become low due to normal brake pad wear and not because of any brake system malfunction. While in most instances an illuminated brake warning lamp is due to normal brake pad wear, a small percentage of vehicles affected by this campaign may have a slow brake fluid leak at the brake master cylinder.
IDENTIFICATION NUMBER
Nissan has assigned identification number PC125 to this campaign. This number must appear on all communications and documentation of any nature dealing with this campaign.
DEALER RESPONSIBILITY
This action is only required if the brake warning lamp is currently illuminated, or the customer states it was recently illuminated while driving. In addition, this campaign is intended to promote customer satisfaction. This inspection may also be performed based on customer request, regardless of the warning lamp illumination.
Nissan Bulletins are intended for use by qualified technicians, not 'do-it-yourselfers'. Qualified technicians are properly trained individuals who have the equipment, tools, safety instruction, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. NOTE: If you believe that a described condition may apply to a particular vehicle, DO NOT assume that it does. See your Nissan dealer to determine if this applies to your vehicle.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Disregard what I wrote we have an ABS light separate from the brake warning.

From the manual:

Brake warning light

This light functions for both the parking brake and
the foot brake systems.
Parking brake indicator
When the ignition switch is placed in the ON
position, the light comes on when the parking
brake is applied.
Low brake fluid warning light
When the ignition switch is placed in the ON
position, the light warns of a low brake fluid level.
If the light comes on while the engine is running
with the parking brake not applied, stop the vehicle
and perform the following:
1. Check the brake fluid level. Add brake fluid
as necessary. For additional information, refer
to “Brake fluid” in the “Maintenance and
do-it-yourself” section of this manual.
2. If the brake fluid level is correct, have the
warning system checked by a NISSAN
dealer.
WARNING
● Your brake system may not be working