The Nissan Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a feeler and feedback is appreciated. A while back I was looking for an option on a good bbk due to the rotor warping that occurs on most of our Altima's. I've been doing a lot of research on which brakes would fit our 3rd gens and here's what I came up with. Evo 8/9 Brembo front calipers on our Altima's fit perfectly with a bracket all while using 350z(brembo) rotors.
Some of you guys might say why not use the 300zx bbk, or Wilwoods? well here's my answer, I have gotten a set of 26mm 300zx front calipers and test fitted everything(they looked great) but there was an issue I had with these, they only made contact with 2/3 of the rotor(6th gen maxima rotor) which I'm a very picky individual and I lost interest in that swap. Next step was 370Z Akebono Caliper, now these babies are freaking sweet but the issue with these was clearance on the mounting ears of the caliper it just wouldn't work(too close to each other) it still wouldn't work with the big 370z 14" rotor, so that project was out the window, then I got sidetracked by some repairs I had to do the Altima, but during this time I was doing some more research on possibly using CTS-V calipers, but those are 6 piston which I thought it would've been overkill, so the next step was STI or Evo 8/9, at this time I saw someone selling brackets for our Altima's using Evo 8/9 calipers and 6th gen Maxima rotors I thought they where nice but to me those brackets didn't look meaty enough and I thought they where a bit expensive at $160 so I went ahead and did my own bracket. And that is how I found out the Evo caliper would work lol.

I wrote this to see if there would be enough interest in these brackets, feedback or anything really, I have not tested these brackets yet as I just picked them up from the machine shop about two hours ago, I will be getting all hardware and getting them powder coated no later than Nov 13 (hopefully) then I will be the guinea pig. As far as performance goes, anything is better than what we have lol

Below are some pictures of the bracket/caliper/rotor/knuckle together
Everything is pretty much centered as I said I'm very picky

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,013 Posts
Very innovative option. I'd keep in mind the pot sizes and sweeping area, as well as what the investment cost compared to performance is... Not knocking you being adventurous and trying something new - try it out and post it up. We can all learn from your trial and error, so it just ends up benefiting the community if you share. :grin

That said, I looked up the Evo Brembo piston sizes - because "curious" - and here's what I found from the Evo forum:

Brembo calipers.
Front: 2x40mm, 2x46mm
Rear: 2x40mm

If you're handy at math, you can figure out what the difference is in piston area and pad size, and then compare that with the other options out there.

Me? I'm all set with BBK's. It's not about me, personally, but my 3rd Gen Alti SE-R stops consistently from 60-0 in 100ft. I've seen no one else take the time to document their stats with any other "BBK," so I'm left with the conclusion that most setups cannot match the braking improvement compared to money invested. Just my 2 cents.

Looking forward to updates, though! Looks like a cool project, and I hope it pans out!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very innovative option. I'd keep in mind the pot sizes and sweeping area, as well as what the investment cost compared to performance is... Not knocking you being adventurous and trying something new - try it out and post it up. We can all learn from your trial and error, so it just ends up benefiting the community if you share. :grin

That said, I looked up the Evo Brembo piston sizes - because "curious" - and here's what I found from the Evo forum:

Brembo calipers.
Front: 2x40mm, 2x46mm
Rear: 2x40mm

If you're handy at math, you can figure out what the difference is in piston area and pad size, and then compare that with the other options out there.

Me? I'm all set with BBK's. It's not about me, personally, but my 3rd Gen Alti SE-R stops consistently from 60-0 in 100ft. I've seen no one else take the time to document their stats with any other "BBK," so I'm left with the conclusion that most setups cannot match the braking improvement compared to money invested. Just my 2 cents.

Looking forward to updates, though! Looks like a cool project, and I hope it pans out!

I know what you mean and to be honest I had given up but it was more of a challenge to see if I could make it work, since I've been planning to do it for a while, I said why not lol

The Piston size is a big difference compared to the stock(obviously lol). My plan was to use Evo Brembo fronts and use 350z Brembo rears as the 350z Brembo piston size is 2x40mm same as the Evo rears ^. That being said I looked up the gross weight of the Evo and the Altima and they were about the same give or take a hundred pounds, so my guess would be that the braking balance should be equal on front and back or so I think (don't quote me on that). I chose rear 350z Brembos because they bolt right up with little modification(I read that somewhere) and the 350z use the same pad as the Evo. So long story short it better work!! lol only one way to find out as I say

I totally understand you, the reason I'm doing the conversion is because why not lol but other than that I've noticed that when I have passengers in the car, I really gotta hit that brake pedal hard which is another reason I'm willing to swap them for something better, and they feel amazing oh yes I've done it :grin

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yes!! I've done it!!:woot:

Hey guys sorry for taking long to replying to this, I got engaged and I've been really busy with the wedding as well as these holidays anywho lets get to the point.

I got the chance over thanksgiving to finally powdercoat and install those Brembo brakes and they are amazing!! I'm still in the process of breaking in the pads as I went ahead and got top notch parts(I think), I should be able to test out the stopping power from 60mph to 0 this weekend as its in a business area and I cant be doing shenanigans during business hours lol. There's a couple changes that I need to make before I can have these available, hopefully it wont take me too long

Here's a quick list of the hardware
-Evo 9 Brembo Calipers
-350z Brembo Edition Rotors, I used DBA Rotors
-EBC Redstuff (Evo 9)
-02-06 Altima Goodridge SS Brake Lines
-Ultimate Chrome Base Coat with Candy Teal Top Coat (Powder coating powders)
-Miscellaneous nuts and bolts(hardware)
-Custom brackets made by me!!

Price wise I would say I spent about $1000 but that's upgrading to better rotors, pads, lines, and of course that powder.
If I would've gone with cheaper rotors, pads, stock lines and spray paint I would say it could have been about $450ish less than $500 which I don't think its that bad being that you'll have Brembos with stopping power without even breaking a sweat, I can hit the brakes and the calipers clamp down pretty good, there's been a couple times I've actually locked the wheels lol(no bueno) and im running 235 45 18 tires which they are a bit wider than stock

That's enough of a rant and here's what it looks like

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,013 Posts
Oh yes!! I've done it!!:woot:

Hey guys sorry for taking long to replying to this, I got engaged and I've been really busy with the wedding as well as these holidays anywho lets get to the point.

I got the chance over thanksgiving to finally powdercoat and install those Brembo brakes and they are amazing!! I'm still in the process of breaking in the pads as I went ahead and got top notch parts(I think), I should be able to test out the stopping power from 60mph to 0 this weekend as its in a business area and I cant be doing shenanigans during business hours lol. There's a couple changes that I need to make before I can have these available, hopefully it wont take me too long

Here's a quick list of the hardware
-Evo 9 Brembo Calipers
-350z Brembo Edition Rotors, I used DBA Rotors
-EBC Redstuff (Evo 9)
-02-06 Altima Goodridge SS Brake Lines
-Ultimate Chrome Base Coat with Candy Teal Top Coat (Powder coating powders)
-Miscellaneous nuts and bolts(hardware)
-Custom brackets made by me!!

Price wise I would say I spent about $1000 but that's upgrading to better rotors, pads, lines, and of course that powder.
If I would've gone with cheaper rotors, pads, stock lines and spray paint I would say it could have been about $450ish less than $500 which I don't think its that bad being that you'll have Brembos with stopping power without even breaking a sweat, I can hit the brakes and the calipers clamp down pretty good, there's been a couple times I've actually locked the wheels lol(no bueno) and im running 235 45 18 tires which they are a bit wider than stock

That's enough of a rant and here's what it looks like
First off, congratulations on the engagement!

Second of all, congratulations on making it work. Bracket looks like good quality - nice job. I assume you used lock washers in there... :wink

I'm looking forward to seeing what the 60-0 results are after bed-in so we can compare. I don't know that we'll be able to completely compare apples to apples, as my wheel/tire combo is different, but it may be similar if you have good tires from the Max Summer Performance tire category. There's a lot of variables between our cars that may be different, but it still doesn't hurt to see what the end result is. :)

I may use your idea here to do a bracket for using 350Z Track rotors with the Base calipers... Not sure if I want to go that far, and what I have now performs as I need it to.

·
2 low 4 fat hoes!!!
4,035 Posts
Do what I did.

350z oem brembo calipers rotors and pads. Shave the rotor down a little aND that's it.

·
2 low 4 fat hoes!!!
4,035 Posts
Oem parts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First off, congratulations on the engagement!

Second of all, congratulations on making it work. Bracket looks like good quality - nice job. I assume you used lock washers in there... :wink

I'm looking forward to seeing what the 60-0 results are after bed-in so we can compare. I don't know that we'll be able to completely compare apples to apples, as my wheel/tire combo is different, but it may be similar if you have good tires from the Max Summer Performance tire category. There's a lot of variables between our cars that may be different, but it still doesn't hurt to see what the end result is. :)

I may use your idea here to do a bracket for using 350Z Track rotors with the Base calipers... Not sure if I want to go that far, and what I have now performs as I need it to.

Thanks, and thanks again ?

I have tested the old brake setup and tried to test the new BBK but I ran into a problem on the second stop, I had no brake pressure, turns out one of the lines got loose and I was loosing brake fluid trough there, got it fixed and haven't tried it since lol I been busy, but I have gotten to do the minor modifications to the brackets and I have something put together for you guys interested in these brackets

$120- Brackets, Spacers, bolts, nuts, and washers
$100- Brackets & Spacers

Brackets are t6061
Bolts are grade 10.9 and 12.9 grade
Pricing includes shipping
Anyone interested please let me know

·
Registered
591 Posts
nice job on the brake setup, now get yourself a good set of tires. remember the brakes are nothing if the tires are junk. first contact patch between the car and the road is the tire. tires that cant grip make the brakes useless

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,013 Posts
Thanks, and thanks again ?

I have tested the old brake setup and tried to test the new BBK but I ran into a problem on the second stop, I had no brake pressure, turns out one of the lines got loose and I was loosing brake fluid trough there, got it fixed and haven't tried it since lol I been busy, but I have gotten to do the minor modifications to the brackets and I have something put together for you guys interested in these brackets

$120- Brackets, Spacers, bolts, nuts, and washers
$100- Brackets & Spacers

Brackets are t6061
Bolts are grade 10.9 and 12.9 grade
Pricing includes shipping
Anyone interested please let me know
Cool stuff. Bummer on the brake line leak. Try to get out and pull some hard stops when you can, but no rush. I'd just like to see how things stack up. :wink

nice job on the brake setup, now get yourself a good set of tires. remember the brakes are nothing if the tires are junk. first contact patch between the car and the road is the tire. tires that cant grip make the brakes useless
Seriously. No better advice than this. As many people have told me, Tires are the unsung heroes of automotive performance. Personal experience with that, too.

·
Event Horizon Chaser
257 Posts
Just a feeler and feedback is appreciated. A while back I was looking for an option on a good bbk due to the rotor warping that occurs on most of our Altima's. I've been doing a lot of research on which brakes would fit our 3rd gens and here's what I came up with. Evo 8/9 Brembo front calipers on our Altima's fit perfectly with a bracket all while using 350z(brembo) rotors.
Some of you guys might say why not use the 300zx bbk, or Wilwoods? well here's my answer, I have gotten a set of 26mm 300zx front calipers and test fitted everything(they looked great) but there was an issue I had with these, they only made contact with 2/3 of the rotor(6th gen maxima rotor) which I'm a very picky individual and I lost interest in that swap. Next step was 370Z Akebono Caliper, now these babies are freaking sweet but the issue with these was clearance on the mounting ears of the caliper it just wouldn't work(too close to each other) it still wouldn't work with the big 370z 14" rotor, so that project was out the window, then I got sidetracked by some repairs I had to do the Altima, but during this time I was doing some more research on possibly using CTS-V calipers, but those are 6 piston which I thought it would've been overkill, so the next step was STI or Evo 8/9, at this time I saw someone selling brackets for our Altima's using Evo 8/9 calipers and 6th gen Maxima rotors I thought they where nice but to me those brackets didn't look meaty enough and I thought they where a bit expensive at $160 so I went ahead and did my own bracket. And that is how I found out the Evo caliper would work lol.

I wrote this to see if there would be enough interest in these brackets, feedback or anything really, I have not tested these brackets yet as I just picked them up from the machine shop about two hours ago, I will be getting all hardware and getting them powder coated no later than Nov 13 (hopefully) then I will be the guinea pig. As far as performance goes, anything is better than what we have lol

Below are some pictures of the bracket/caliper/rotor/knuckle together
Everything is pretty much centered as I said I'm very picky
Hello Ricooo you have a pm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts