The Nissan Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Recently I started looking at performance camshaft, pistons, springs etc etc. Obviously that would be a long expensive project. However, I am inclined to save up and give it a go. I have a trusted mechanic I can go to get the parts installed and will discuss with him the best combination.

Before I pull the trigger would like to hear what do you guys think. If you have any suggestions or even if you tell me to not waste my time and money.

I have noticed that for the different stages camshafts and springs there are some ratios to take into account. I do not know the meaning behind the ratios as of know, but I will learn further.

What am I getting into? Anybody done it before? :nerd

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,013 Posts
Hey everyone,

Recently I started looking at performance camshaft, pistons, springs etc etc. Obviously that would be a long expensive project. However, I am inclined to save up and give it a go. I have a trusted mechanic I can go to get the parts installed and will discuss with him the best combination.

Before I pull the trigger would like to hear what do you guys think. If you have any suggestions or even if you tell me to not waste my time and money.

I have noticed that for the different stages camshafts and springs there are some ratios to take into account. I do not know the meaning behind the ratios as of know, but I will learn further.

What am I getting into? Anybody done it before? :nerd
I took a close look at your Wheel well page, and you already have most of the supporting modifications to make cams worthwhile. Expect to tune afterwards if you do it. That said... Cams only make sense on the VQDE if you're building a racecar or already rebuilding the heads. Install costs are the prohibitive part, as there is extensive labor involved to get to the point where you can swap cams and all the associated supporting parts (valve springs, retainers, shims, better valves, etc.). Only you can determine if the cost is worth the benefit. Also, don't expect 40-50whp out of cams - even with your supporting modifications.

All that said, do cams fit within the statement on your wheel well page?

"I like to keep the car clean and under the radar. Also, I do not add any dysfunctional parts which will not improve vehicle's performance (whether engine or handling), just to be in the game. In my opinion, this is a waste of time and money. My goal is to build fun low key daily driver, which can deliver some excitement when needed.

I respect and admire all makes and models when done right. Knowing when to stop is essential."

Only you can determine that.

Good luck on your decision. I'm honestly still working on my own. :wink

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Good luck on your decision. I'm honestly still working on my own. :wink
Thank you for the comment. Appreciate the time you took to check me out on WheelWell. I hear what you are saying. After I posted my initial thread, I did some research and even emailed BC with some questions. Expecting to hear back from them some time this week. Definitely, retuning the will take place. Not a problem. I already determined that BC Stage 2 cams will best suit me. I am not building a race car by any means. However, I want to have something different as well. In my opinion, cams are not dysfunctional mod :grin Again, it will be something long turn and buying parts little by little. It will still be "clean and under the radar" tho.

I don't expect a dramatic increase in horse power or miracles. That's why I started the threads to discuss with others like you who know more than me. I will see what BC will have to say in regard to my questions and will pass the knowledge along.

You say I have done most of the supported mods. What is left behind? Is there anything else I could do before I jump into the cam game? I will replace the brake calipers soon with the 350z ones some of us already use (PowerStop). Y-pipe may come soon and wish there are some good quality headers too ( No OBX). I also looked at SFR's intake manifold... learning on the fly. I would like to pick up from your knowledge.

You got WheelWell profile too?

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,013 Posts
Thank you for the comment. Appreciate the time you took to check me out on WheelWell. I hear what you are saying. After I posted my initial thread, I did some research and even emailed BC with some questions. Expecting to hear back from them some time this week. Definitely, retuning the will take place. Not a problem. I already determined that BC Stage 2 cams will best suit me. I am not building a race car by any means. However, I want to have something different as well. In my opinion, cams are not dysfunctional mod :grin Again, it will be something long turn and buying parts little by little. It will still be "clean and under the radar" tho.

I don't expect a dramatic increase in horse power or miracles. That's why I started the threads to discuss with others like you who know more than me. I will see what BC will have to say in regard to my questions and will pass the knowledge along.

You say I have done most of the supported mods. What is left behind? Is there anything else I could do before I jump into the cam game? I will replace the brake calipers soon with the 350z ones some of us already use (PowerStop). Y-pipe may come soon and wish there are some good quality headers too ( No OBX). I also looked at SFR's intake manifold... learning on the fly. I would like to pick up from your knowledge.

You got WheelWell profile too?
Stage 2 Crower cams are great. Any reason you're not considering Jim Wolf C2's? If the labor is what it is, make sure the cams you go with provide the most area under the curve where you want it. If/when I do cams, they'll probably be C2's.

I don't have a wheel well page, but I've been thinking about it. I do have a build thread over on the Altima Forums. If you Google search my handle with "build thread" you'll get to it easy enough.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stage 2 Crower cams are great. Any reason you're not considering Jim Wolf C2's? If the labor is what it is, make sure the cams you go with provide the most area under the curve where you want it. If/when I do cams, they'll probably be C2's.
No real reason why BC over JW. Honestly, I was not aware of JW Tech. I just went online to check them out and I like what I see (Not to mention the price difference between the two). I will have to research them and their products. They also sell affordable valve springs and gears... Thank you for sharing this with me.

I will look for your build list and I will ask questions.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How is your CVT holding up?
No problems whatsoever. I learned how to drive it and control gear shifting. When I drive it in manual mode, it has no lag when shifting. Joe did a very good and precise work when tuning my car. Car rev matches near perfectly. Quick response for fast acceleration and passing when needed in auto sport.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts