The Nissan Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a really stupid question but, I have my amp bridged right now going to one svc sub.... no problem....i am upgrading to a dvc sub... so would I just give each voice coil one channel, or what???

·
Damn! I Drive a Civic
4,703 Posts
you would wire the voice coil either in a series or parelle, depends on the subs and amp. that either drops or makes the ohms higher. what are you considering?

·
NO LIFE POSTER
1,503 Posts
NOPE GET A DUAL 2 OHM AND THAT WILL GIVE YOU A 4 OHM LOAD. Or depending on the type of amp you have would could run 1 coil to one side and the other one to the other side. Unless you plan on getting another sub, return it and get a dual 2 ohm or a svc 4 ohm subwoofer.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
poisonfist said:
Just don't bridge the amp and feed each coil from each channel, problem solved.
or series, bridged.. same difference..

but that won't net him the most power from his amp, the better option is to get a SVC 4, or DVC 2 ohm, like 02silver said..

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
yes it will, the vast majority of class A/B car amps are 2 ohm stereo stable, and give a 50-100% increase in output power.. :)

for example, my Infinity 102a does 100x2 @ 4 ohm, and 150x2 @ 2 ohm (aka 200W @ 8, 300W @ 4 ohm bridged)..

·
Nipponese
5,458 Posts
Well, it is true that the bridging circuitry will allow more power to be drawn by the drivers but the primary form of amplifier's non-linearity and crossover distortion will be worse. It does raise the clipping point but if you think about THD, it's not all that beneficial.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
it's not in the bridging circuitry, it's in the amps channels themselves.

like I said, my amp (and others) does 100x2 @ 4 ohm, and 150x2 @ 2 ohm, stereo.

I'll see if I can find some THD graphs..

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
poisonfist said:
Bridging and feeding a single 4ohm will not increase output over a 2 channel output feeding a 4ohm coil each.
TL said:
my amp (and others) does 100x2 @ 4 ohm, and 150x2 @ 2 ohm, stereo.
so,
DVC 4 ohm stereo = 200w (100w to each coil)
SVC 4 ohm bridged = 300w

so it will increase output, contrary to your statement :)

·
Nipponese
5,458 Posts
TL said:
so,
DVC 4 ohm stereo = 200w (100w to each coil)
SVC 4 ohm bridged = 300w

so it will increase output, contrary to your statement :)
poisonfist said:
Well, it is true that the bridging circuitry will allow more power to be drawn by the drivers but the primary form of amplifier's non-linearity and crossover distortion will be worse. It does raise the clipping point but if you think about THD, it's not all that beneficial.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
as I'm sure you know, a bridgeable amp simply runs one channel inverted, so when you connect the amp bridged, the channels sum.

and as I'm sure you know, 2 ohm stereo is eqivalent to 4 ohm bridged, as a result.

a DVC 2 ohm sub stereo, will receive exactly the same power as a 4 ohm sub bridged.

*gotta run, continue this tomorrow :)

·
Nipponese
5,458 Posts
Oh yeah, I have failed to remember that each amp drives half the load impedance when bridged. But my argument still stands that 4ohm stereo will have less non-linearities and distortion than 2ohm stereo/4ohm bridged. The 50% gain is like what, less than 2dB gain in SPL, I would rather sacrifice that gain to having less distortion. :)

619 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Let me clarify some specifics...the amp will be a 2001 Rockford Fosgate Power Punch 500.2 which puts out 250x2 channels at 2 ohms......when you bridge it is only 4 ohm stable...and puts out 500x1...both those numbers are RMS....... Now the sub(Alpine Type-R 15" DVC) is available at dual 4, or dual 2.... a dual 2 ohm in series would yield a 4 ohm load...so i would bridge my amp.... and would be giving 500x1 @ 4 ohms...so that would be a perfect RMS match... The only downside to getting the 2+2 i see would be that I couldn't add another 2+2 to it because in series It'd be a 2 ohm load...which my amp cant do bridged...or if in parallel, a .5 which there is no way my amp could do...but then again I wouldnt want to run 2 15"'s off of 500 watts..... so i guess I should get the DVC 2+2 ohm subwoofer wired in series to my bridged amp...... Am I thinking this out properly now??? If so...how bout box now.... sealed or ported? how many cu. ft?

619 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
is....

Is a 15" Alpine Type-r even a good choice...I listen to mostly rap/hip hop... I am not an SQ person, more SPL.... any comments the alpine?

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
poisonfist said:
Oh yeah, I have failed to remember that each amp drives half the load impedance when bridged. But my argument still stands that 4ohm stereo will have less non-linearities and distortion than 2ohm stereo/4ohm bridged. The 50% gain is like what, less than 2dB gain in SPL, I would rather sacrifice that gain to having less distortion. :)
:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts