The Nissan Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok boys and girls, here is an update

1- have the car towed to a garage was not an option since I live too far away from the nearest dealer so I decided to take the risk of doing it myself! after all it's just a car isn't it?!!

2- ok, I borrowed a tool from by neighbour, it's called a screw extractor:

First, I drilled a hole though the center of the broken bolt, using a drill bit smaller in diameter, as vertically as posible trying not to let the drill bit damaging the thread of the existing hole.

I used a vacuum cleaner to clean out the drill cuttings.

Next, I used the screw extractor (it's a reverse-thread, it turns anti-clockwise to penetrate) and screw-in the hole I drilled earlier. The extractor is tapered and penetrates tight into the hole I drilled earlier by turning it anti-clocwise, eventually, it locks itself in the broken bolt and additional anticlockwise torque unscrews the broken bolt.

Success!! yes! it came out!

I removed the remaining bolts of the valve cover.

With all the bolts removed, the cover wouldn't come off, I saw there is some kind of silicone around the edge of the cover so it is like the cover is glued there.

What should I do next? pry out the valve cover with a flat-end screw driver or a crow bar?

thanks

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
It's just the gasket. Pry on it but try not to damage the mating surfaces. Hopefully you picked up a new gasket. Also next time you might just want to update the original tread;)

·
Breu Meister
6,646 Posts
Peterson said:
A soft hit with a rubber mallet might help break it loose.
damn good advice...very soft taps along the top of the valve cover should jar it loose...otherwise I use my fingers. my valve cover was barely stuck on there once i removed the bolts it popped right off with me lifting it up...brand new gaskets and all.

·
Rockin the Kasbah
4,106 Posts
rubber mallet or a deal blow hammer should do the trick....idealy you'd have the tool to remove such parts (worked well on the lower and upper pans), but the above mentioned will do the trick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts