The Nissan Club banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
New Transaxle JBWelded!
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is the best way to remove broken 10mm head rusty bolts? Details follow -

I took care of my shifter squeak this weekend, with excellent results so far. I started by spraying all of the heat shield bolts with a healthy dose of WD40 and let sit for 10 minutes or so. Next, used a 10mm socket to gently remove the rusty driver side heat shield bolts - no problem. Technique was to break loose and turn about 1 turn, then flood with WD40 again, then continue to turn.

Next came the passenger side bolts. Same technique broke both bolts approximately half way out. If I had to do it over again, I would loosen the bolts 1 turn, flood with WD40, and screw them back in, to try to lubricate the thread area a little. I don't know if this would work or not.

Once out, I sprayed liberally the whole shifter assembly with a healthy amount of WD40 while I had someone moving the shifter between gears. Squeak didn't go away at all, but seemed to only happen when really pushing the shifter sideways while shifting.

Next came an extremely healthy dose of spray lithium grease. I sprayed until it was dripping onto the heat shield, again while moving shifter. Sound didn't go away.

Let car sit for 30 minutes. When I came back, squeaking sounds were all now gone, and shifter action was incredibly smooth. Replaced 2 good bolts, still have 2 broken bolts, on same side. Heat shield is loose on that side, but not rattling or buzzing.

I'm not sure how long the effect will last, but I think anyone with a shifter that feels excessively tough to move or is noisy would be happy with the results. Dealer wanted $600 to replace shifter, or $400 to lube current shifter. My cost - $20 for ramps, $5ish for spray grease, plus whatever it costs to fix those broken bolts. Total time under the car was <1hour.

Any suggestions on what to do with the broken bolts would be appreciated. Thanks.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.