The Nissan Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that i have bubbles in the clear coat under the hood of the car. You can't see them unless i pop open the hood. The paint looks fine. But there are about 50 -100 tiny bubbles in the clear coat. Also, there was a grinding mark, like there was some excess paint, and someone took a grinder and ground it down a bit. And they ground it down to the metal. MAN!! I didnt even see that when i was picking up my car. ANYWAYS, i took it to a local dealer and he said, he would hate to repaint the hood. Cause when you do, it NEVER looks as good as the factory paint does. Well what should i do? He suggested, i just leave it alone. And he would put some touchup paint where the grinding mark was. But i am scared there might be some corrorison in the near future, where the bubbles in the clear coat are? Should i be worried? Should i have them repaint the hood? I know he is right, if they do repaint the the hood. It won't look as good, as it did from the factory. But if the paint starts to come off, after the warranty is up. In like 2 years. (I put on more then 12,000 miles a year) Im gonna be just PISSED! What do you people think i should do? I told them to tell Nissan i want a NEW hood, that was painted perfectly. He said, Nissan wouldn't do that. Well what the hell!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would think that's based on the quality of the body shop they use. I had a door ding in a 2000 BMW 323i where they had to repaint the entire driver side rear door, and it came out looking just as good as the original paint job did. I couldn't tell the dent was EVER there. The dealership didn't even know about it when I returned the car at the end of the lease :D . I would say if you know of any good body shops in the area, check them out and see what they say, cause I personally would take ANYTHING that a dealership says with a grain of salt.

·
Always something better
1,037 Posts
If it's under the hood does it really matter or is it noticeable on the outside of the car, if you have to pop the hood to see it just use touch up paint but if you want it repainted have them do it.

My Pathfinder was hit front and rear and the 2 bumpers where repainted looks like new, only I know and that was when it was not even a year old, my Altima had the front drivers side repainted when the dealer damaged it and you would never know.

Find a good shop get the estimate and have the dealer fork over a check and have it repainted

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,804 Posts
Re: Re: Bubbles in the clear coat!

Altimat said:
Any clearcoat under the hood of your car is just overspray isn't it? I though these areas just got the base color. Touch up the bare metal. I would avoid having anything repainted at all costs.
I second that!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the bubbles are right under the lip of the hood. There IS clearcoat there. And you can only see it when i pop open the hood. BUT the fact that its there is annoying.. (but i can live with it) AND i am concerned about possible corrosion where the bubbles are. I mean, is the paint gonna fall off, 4 years after i buy the car. My warranty will be up in 2 years. If i know that it wont hurt anything. Other then appearance. I'll just leave it. But if its a potential problem? I wanna fix it! Soooo anyone know if its a problem??

·
X-Mod
1,585 Posts
Well, if its just under the forward lip, it is probably a heavy accumulation of clear (run, or sag). Heavy film builds will 'outgas' solvents after the cure because the outer layer skinned over before all of the solvents could evaporate, leaving the tiny air bubbles trapped in the clear. No problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.