The Nissan Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is getting your car buffed bad for the paint? Cuz I was talking to friend about it and he said it is.

·
1,484 Posts
It depends, if you use a orbital buffer, most of the time you won't screw it up. The problem people can run into is running to high of speed buffer and burning the paint because of heat. I have an orbital buffer, and a selectable high speed buffer. A buffer does speed up the process, and I do love using mine every now and then. But I still think I get a better result by doing the car by hand. If you know what your doing, it's not going to hurt it.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ohh ok because I was thinking of a professional detailing shop to do it cuz I know Im going to mess up, but just wanted to know if it messed up the paint, like the clear coat.

·
Registered
694 Posts
It can't hurt if you do it by hand. An orbital buffer is the ideal way to go. It saves you time. Definetly you'll burn your paint using the high speed buffer. I would't even trust taking the car to get it detailed knowing they use the high speed buffers. Even the pro's f#ck up once in a while.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Bottom line is this, if you dont know how to use one, DONT use one, you're F up your paint.

Whenever you apply wax or polish, OR wash or dry your car, never do it in circles, thats the SAME thing that causes SWIRLS. Always do it in straight lines, i'm not saying that doing it like that will never leave fine scratches on the finish, But those scratches wont be as nearly as obvious as if you did it in circles where the sun or light will catch 'em and you'll see those nasty WEBS.

Now, Orbial buffers go in circles, meaning that you'll get swirls in a hurry IF you dont know what you're doing. if you ever seen a Professinal using a buffer, they ONLY let the edge of the buffer come in contact with the paint, They just DONT place it on the car and away they go!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Orbital buffers do not go in circles. They oscillates. There are buffers that look like grinders and that's exactly what they are. They go round in circles. At 1000 rpm and even if you buff using the edge (45 degree) there is a very good change that you'll damage the paint. The orbital jiggles.
There is a very good site that you can check about this and other car detailing questions and products etc. Go to www.properautocare.com and on the left side of the page is everything you need to get started. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya this help a lot, the only reason my car is so f*** up is because of the dealership and their stupid car wash machine!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts