The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
master of the custom cai
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
built my CAI!(pics finnaly)

hey everyone! i FINNALY decided to ditch the wai, and get the good old CAI. i started by buying 3ft of 2" PVC piping, just so id have enough. and bought universal air filter from auto zone. it came out great. right where the stock fog lights are,(i dont have them) i cut out the piece and my filter sits bout 6" from the bumper. i will have pics soon. **i diddnt need to cut, or pull out the battery, or do ANY mod to fit this**and it came out terriffic. i will have pics hopefully this week.:D

·
PrOuD To Be HaWaIiAn
3,416 Posts
cool. what was your final cost? i would have gone that route, but for me i want the name brand on it.

·
de-moderator
2,134 Posts
the reason people have to cut to make cai fit is because its 3inch piping... not 2 inch. The filter has a 3inch opening. And its been argued that pvc isn't the way to go w/ intakes... because of it bein in the engine bay.

·
Rockin the Kasbah
4,106 Posts
I think this PVC stuff is a big rumor. PVC Piping itself can withstand any amount of heat it will get in your engine bay. Think about it, it's on the far right, away from the block and ex. manifold...PVC will work fine, and the toxic fumes, well from buidlign many a spud gun, the only fumes I smelt when burning them out was just burnt hair gel.

·
:-)
2,049 Posts
When I touch my intake (HS not homemade) after its been runnin its usually quite cold. Colder than when the car hasn't been running for a while.

·
Dro'd Out!.....again!
2,366 Posts
So is PVC bad or not? i mean i know u shouldent make bongs outta pvc because it can give u cancer. but u aint inhalin the fumes from the engine bay directly.

·
Nissan God
12,955 Posts
buy a real intake, nothing compares to a true CAI

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
AceAltima said:
I think this PVC stuff is a big rumor. PVC Piping itself can withstand any amount of heat it will get in your engine bay. Think about it, it's on the far right, away from the block and ex. manifold...PVC will work fine, and the toxic fumes, well from buidlign many a spud gun, the only fumes I smelt when burning them out was just burnt hair gel.
I don't think that lighting hairspray is nearly as hot as a cars engine running at max temp.

·
Straight Flight Attendant
493 Posts
Thom said:
When I touch my intake (HS not homemade) after its been runnin its usually quite cold. Colder than when the car hasn't been running for a while.
so, in theory, the PVC should not get noticably above the tempurature of the ambient air. it is a COLD AIR intake, so the cold air running through the PVC would keep the piping very close to the ambient tempurature, thus not getting warm enough to let off any "extra" fumes. a day in the life of a CAI, the warmest part would be mid-summer-day in a parking lot, not running.

·
master of the custom cai
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TOTAL COST=$22(with filter) ill have pics hopefully later 2day

ps i would of gotton a brand name, but i dont wanna spend almost 200 on a cai. when the time comes, im gonna find a place that has alluminum piping, ill make one out of that.

·
Registered
82 Posts
get the hollwo fence post and make it out of that me and my friend did it to an accord. It is exactly the same w/ k&n filter.

·
Rockin the Kasbah
4,106 Posts
You can get good gutter guard for like 3 bucks at home depot

(For 5 sheets, that are like 8 inches tall by 40 inches long)

You can easily paint them if oy ulike (i did mine silver)

I still don't see anythign wrong with using PVC to create your intake. If you are so concerned with heat, go buy header paint and spray the outside and inside. That way it keeps the hot out (if you're worried about it)

·
Registered
82 Posts
you knoe chain link fences those poles that go in the ground go get them. cut them the length you need adn for the turns we needed to get down to fender well we were ganna get a peice mandrel bent (not fence post but liek a 3" piece like uded use on your exhaust) to the size we needed, but instead we just got some rubber connectors and clamped them on like your radiator does with just a bigger hose and it worked pretty good (for a honda).

·
isSs rolling a 2k3sentra
602 Posts
how much you pay for all of this? hehehe

1 - 20 of 39 Posts