The Nissan Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, has anyone removed the bumper? I have a rip/crack across mine and I'm going to JBWeld it. If nobody has removed it before I will be sure to take pictures and do a write up.

I tried searching the forums before posting but it kept telling me to wait 21 seconds....and it's saying that indefinitely.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Should be in the FSM and should be very similar to the Gen4.

FWIW, the Gen4, you remove the 6 plastic poppers holding the front grill and upper bumper skirt to the bar in front of the rad. Then you remove a similar set of popper underneath the front of the bumper that hold the skirt to the under engine spray shield, and the inner fender liners on both sides. You remove 3 philips screws at each side of the front lower edge of the skirt. Carefully pull back the fender liners to expose the larger screw where the skirt plastic meets the metal fender about halfway up the fenderwell (philips/10mm). Reach in behind the bumper at each fog and disconnec the plug on the H11 bulb. Above the fogs, gently push the skirt into the car, while slowly trying to pop the side of the skirt out ie away from the side of the car, right where you removed that last screw. Pop one side, then the other, then you can remove the whole things from from the top, I grab above the grill and the middle vent bar below the license plate and pull gently forwards and away from the car.

Check the FSM (see .sig below for top level) for your Year. Like here, page EXT-17

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should be in the FSM and should be very similar to the Gen4.

FWIW, the Gen4, you remove the 6 plastic poppers holding the front grill and upper bumper skirt to the bar in front of the rad. Then you remove a similar set of popper underneath the front of the bumper that hold the skirt to the under engine spray shield, and the inner fender liners on both sides. You remove 3 philips screws at each side of the front lower edge of the skirt. Carefully pull back the fender liners to expose the larger screw where the skirt plastic meets the metal fender about halfway up the fenderwell (philips/10mm). Reach in behind the bumper at each fog and disconnec the plug on the H11 bulb. Above the fogs, gently push the skirt into the car, while slowly trying to pop the side of the skirt out ie away from the side of the car, right where you removed that last screw. Pop one side, then the other, then you can remove the whole things from from the top, I grab above the grill and the middle vent bar below the license plate and pull gently forwards and away from the car.

Check the FSM (see .sig below for top level) for your Year. Like here, page EXT-17
Thanks. What does FSM mean. That book you attached is so cool. I see that this is just one section of it. Is there more to it?

I also found a youtube video on it that was very brief but it looks simple after seeing the unattached bumper.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Click on the (red) FSM's (Factory Service Manual) link in my .sig. Select your year. Look for a fwd.pdf or idx.pdf as that provides the key to what each section refers to. So for instance, EXL is usually 'Exterior Lighting', MT is Manual Transmission etc. It can change year to year though. I use AV a lot during my radio upgrade hack.

Removing the bumper is simple. It's just a bit scary the first time because you are removing so much of the 'surface' of your car. It'll look like it's at the body shop once you get it off. Rest assured, unless you are working at sub zero temps, the plastic skirt is flexible enough to take quite the amount of bending/flexing. The hardest part for disassembly is pulling the inner fender liner out from behind the lip of the metal fender to get at that inner screw from below. Reassembly, the hardest bit is getting the two upper sides (wings?) clipped back into place, again push/roll from front corner to wheel end of skirt high up as you position the level of the skirt correctly. Don't panic, it will go back together...just might take you a swing or two the first time. Don't overtighten screws...they all go into plastic.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've ripped off a few front ends. It's nothing big it's just that this car is so compact up front and adjusting the headlights is ridiculous so I figured this would be bad too:)

·
Registered
247 Posts
It's pretty simple. Took off front bumper numerous times. And will be doing it soon again to take off my grille. I hate that you have to take off the bumper just to remove the grille. My 4.5gen was so much easier

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was pretty simple. The only odd part was removing that swinging arm above the headlight where the bumper cover meets each fender.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts