The Nissan Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
01 SE 5mt
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any history of valve seals or rings going on these cars??

i am burning a little oil on startup esspecially and on WOT acceleration. I use synthetic and have moderate mods to the motor.

any thought, help would be applreciated

·
01 SE 5mt
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have about 56 thousand miles, but i have the engine tuned to its max right now (I/H/cat back/times to 23 degrees/nkg Plugs-wires/... NO PULLEY)

but you think it is my rings or maybe valve seals?

is this that common?

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
What is it doing?? Can you actually see smoke from the tailpipe on startup and WOT?? Is it white/gray smoke from oil or could it be carbon, running rich?
Have you checked compression and/or leakdown tests? When doing the comp test, if the comp is low, try adding a capful of oil to the cylinder and redo the test. The results will tell you whether it's a ring or valve/seal problem. My 93 has 190k and is not burning any noticeable amount of oil yet.
If the car is taken care of decently, it shouldn't burn much over time though you could have a motor that wasn't built properly maybe? I have read about Preludes and others engines burning a quart per 1k miles because of the compression and hard driving among other cars nowadays....

Jeremy

·
01 SE 5mt
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i will check the compression this weekend and it is only on start up, though my boys tell me it happends when i lay into it. the smoke is a light gray wit little bluish tint to it.

i was a bit low on oil so we will see now that i am back up to operating level

·
Resistance is futile
3,202 Posts
Burning oil when "laying into it" would be rings.
Burning oil when you let off the gas (in a lower gear, to keep rpms up) would be valve seals. Normally seals are also the cause of oil smoke on startup, assuming it is oil smoke.

·
01 SE 5mt
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i get a little smoke when i lay into it and some smoke on start up but only if i rev HIGH???

rings???

·
I AM LEGEND
10,874 Posts
I have 140K on mine,Mobil 1 Synthetic since 60K,and I have ran over the 3K interval mark a few times.The last two oil changes have occurred at about a 5K miles interval,and I have been about half a quart low these last two times.The guy at the shop stated its nothing to really worry about at this point,since I have so many miles on my engine.It almost time for a tune up,so maybe I will get a compression check while my shop is doing the tune up.

·
ASE certified wiseass
431 Posts
The KA is not known for bad valve seals, but they can wear out over time and leak. The old Preludes had oil control ring problems which caused them to burn all the time. it was a design flaw IMO. The KA does not have that.

So, a comp check won't find your burn issues. If you suspect the seals have the seals replaced. Not much else you can do .

Randy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts