The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...

Anyone have any trouble with a burning electrical smell coming from the engine???

It started on mine this weekend... I just turned 9000 miles... no problems up till now...

I had planned on bringing it in for service on Tuesday anyway... I'll let everyone know what the deal is...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah... it was the first thing I did and there was a smell but there wasn't any smoke or anything... I can't figure it out... I'll leave it to the techs... I was just wondering if anyone else out there had a similar problem...

·
Da Shiznit
520 Posts
matty76 said:
Yeah... it was the first thing I did and there was a smell but there wasn't any smoke or anything... I can't figure it out... I'll leave it to the techs... I was just wondering if anyone else out there had a similar problem...
You know they won't find anything...... Could you narrow down the location the smell was the strongest?

·
X-Mod
1,585 Posts
Check your exhaust. Usually when a car came in for service (when I wrote service) with a complaint of a burning smell, something was stuck to the exhaust, and usually it was plastic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you ever figure out the cause?

My Altima 2.5 SL automatic is now also giving off a strange smell from the engine bay... It has only 4500 miles.

The odor is of burning plastic/waxy chemical scent.

Incidentally, I had my car serviced for its first oil change about a week back... Coinicidence?

·
TALL member
2,583 Posts
:angry2: :angry2: did you really have to bring up ALL the old posts about this...I think one woulda gotten the point across even tho the answer has been said in the other threads

·
Disproportionate Member
155 Posts
TweekersAltima said:
:angry2: :angry2: did you really have to bring up ALL the old posts about this...I think one woulda gotten the point across even tho the answer has been said in the other threads
haha at least he used the search! :cool: Actually, when they changed his oil, they probably spilled some on the engine block, and what he smells is probably the oil cooking on the side. Common problem.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have had the same issues. The smell I believe is coming from the O2 Sensor having problems which lead to a stench from the engine compartment. Mine all started when it felt as if the car lost 40 hp when I stood on it. THen the smell came. I open the hood and nothing. Same electrical smell.. I hear that they had a bad batch of o2 sensors. Do a search on this subject.
Bruno

·
Registered
22 Posts
bruncek i have the EXact SAME THING, weird smell sometimes, and when i stand on it,..... SLUG.. other times bat outta hell...

so ur saying its the O2 sensor??? mines a 03 though....

·
Registered
97 Posts
Think back guys!!! Remember the burning nut cover on the alternator. That can't be the only one. Check your alternators when the engine is running gentleman.

·
Cub Fan, Bud Man...
178 Posts
Mine just started smelling this week! I took it in for an oil change on MLK day. It was in Tennessee. I drove home, no problems. On Tuesday, I notice this burning plastic smell. Happens when I have the heat on, BUT only really smell it at stop lights after the car is warmed up. I'm stumped.

·
Cub Fan, Bud Man...
178 Posts
I'm taking the car into the dealership tomorrow. I'll let you know what I find out.
Hopefully, its either easy to fix, or completely f*cked so I can get a 3.5! :) Wishful thinking at it finest!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I dropped my car off at the dealer this morning for the burning smell that accompanies the loss of power along with a number of other things. I will advise to what they say.

·
Yankmy Member
149 Posts
Dr. SS said:

so ur saying its the O2 sensor??? mines a 03 though....
I hope you're kidding :confused:

·
Registered
71 Posts
They told me they couldnt duplicate the problem and let me go. What can I say? I suggested to look into the o2 sensor mfg's part number and see if its the same as the Maxima's which are known to have had problems in the past. (Im sure they didnt) SO anyway, I am just driving it until it happens again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just purchased a 2003 Altima 2.5 liter yesterday. Today I noticed a burning smell outside the vehicle --in the cabin I don't smell anything but the "new car" odor. I first noticed it last night but shrugged it off as being an expected odor from an engine that's breaking in. Obviously there's been no oil change yet, so that can't be the cause.

Is this something new owners out there have experienced? It's not a burning plastic smell...more of a burning metal odor. No smoke, no overt indications of problems from inside the engine compartment.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.