The Nissan Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
phi phi Kappa Alpha
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if you guys burn oil. I have never had the problem till I put on the turbo, but I was down about .5-.75 of a quart when I changed my oil after about 4.5k (2k of which was put on in a 8 days). I didn't know if it was the 13 hour drive or what. Just seeing if it is normal.

·
The Dude
8,837 Posts
Ken. mine didnt burn oil till it was too late. find yourself a dyno that can hook up an ignition scope to make sure youre not having ignition problems like myself. I have a really bad taste in my mouth right now about running an early ecu on a late car........

I think the difference in ignition pick-ups is what my problem is.

do you hear any detonation? have you run a compression check?

·
Rockin the Kasbah
4,106 Posts
A 13 hour drive could easily have used a lil bit of oil in an older car... I remember when I drove to Va Beach from where I live in the Poconos and it used about half a quart to .75 of one....and I totally attribute that to driving that long at 80ish the whole time...

Hasn't used any sine either!

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
From what I've read, newer cars seem to burn a little more oil, running harder, higher comp, etc...Just an example: Some shop owners I know around here noticed that Preludes, Acura Integras, TLs, etc only a few years old burn around 1 quart every 1-2k miles and even the dealer told them that is the general case.

Plus, the harder you drive the car (Turbo, lead foot...) the more you will burn and I have personally noticed that since my wife (granny driver) has had the car the last few months, the oil level never dropped below full and I have a 93 auto w/190k. However, w/ my driving habits, I was about a quart low every oil change....

Just my thoughts, and meant to reassure you some, though a comp/leakdown would make me feel better...

Jeremy

·
Turbo Motorhead
3,466 Posts
oil viscosity breakdown, very high speed spinning turbo wheel, motor stress of turbo'ing all contribute to consuming some oil. you will burn some oil bro, but whats normal in your car may not be normal for say, my car, or any turbo car.

our valve seals are not the greatest to begin with (blow-by will occur with time), there's the first problem, viscosity breakdown, detergent loss come in second. if you're consuming more than a quart b/t oil changes, it may be of concern, but it really comes down to how and when, and under what conditions you drive your turbo car, ie, stop and go traffic, a menance to a turbo car, or nice, stable highway driving with some boosting, a good thing to a turbo car, or outright gettin' everytime you drive, not so friendly to the turbo car...

just my two cents...

·
Turbo Motorhead
3,466 Posts
just another thought or two...

boring out of the block can also lead to some blow-by at high rpms because of keeping plenty of lubrication b/t the piston and the cylinder wall....i know that the high performance BMW's consume a quart or so of oil b/t recommended oil changes cuz they were designed with the very thought in mind...

one of three rings on your piston is the oil ring - as the are manufactured with a gap, natural blow-by will always occur although very, very minimal in an N/A but may be a little more prevalent in a turbo car...

me, a quart or so every 3 to 5 thousand miles - the valve seals are the weakest link in the head and will head to non-pliability in less than 6000 miles if you drive your car really hard all the time, this just comes with the territory...

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Peterson your valve seals must be in great shape. I agree with Black Hornet. I have spoke with a few race shops like JoTech and Alamo in Texas and they all said 20w-50. I have 168,000 miles and have had my turbo for about 15,000 miles now my valve seals are pretty much worn so the thicker oil works great for me. I noticed I run alot cooler with the thicker weight as compared to the thinner weight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts