The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just Great....

WASHINGTON - In an unprecedented overhaul of the nation's overtime pay rules, the Bush administration is delivering to its business allies an election-year plum they've sought for decades.

The new rules take effect Monday after surviving many efforts by Democrats, labor unions and worker advocates to block them in Congress and kill them through public and political pressure. The administration and business groups say the old regulations were out of date and confusing, and were sparking multimillion dollar lawsuits.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040820/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/overtime_politics_10

Rundown:

_Workers earning $23,660 annually or less are eligible for overtime pay for working more than 40 hours a week. The department says about 1.3 million workers will be newly eligible.

_White-collar workers earning $100,000 or more a year are newly exempt from overtime pay.

_Changes to duties that determine whether an employee is a professional, executive or administrative and exempt from overtime will result in "very few, if any" workers losing overtime. Critics disagree, saying 6 million could lose overtime.

_ Union workers covered by contracts will not be affected by the change.

_ People identified as generally exempt from overtime pay include pharmacists, funeral directors, embalmers, journalists, financial services industry workers, insurance claims adjusters, human resource managers, management consultants, executive and administrative assistants, purchasing agents, registered or certified medical technologists, dental hygienists, physician assistants, accountants, chefs, athletic trainers with degrees or specialized training, computer system analysts, programmers and software engineers.

^ Everyone listed in the last part will now be exempt from receiving overtime. Time for me to change careers.

1,407 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
no big deal, software jobs went to India/China long time ago. Now they have incentives to leave some job behind.

No overtime pay doesn't mean no pay at all right? You just won't get paid 1.5 times regular. You should still get an hourly paid.

·
1,873 Posts
I really didn’t see where it sounded bad either! It really doesn’t affect too many folks. Where I work I have to get approval from management before I can work overtime, anyway.

I think if Bush p!ssed using the other hand, democrats will think it is a monumental change.....

·
14,455 Posts
Altima-02 said:
I really didn’t see where it sounded bad either! It really doesn’t affect too many folks.
I dunno, but this list:

People identified as generally exempt from overtime pay include pharmacists, funeral directors, embalmers, journalists, financial services industry workers, insurance claims adjusters, human resource managers, management consultants, executive and administrative assistants, purchasing agents, registered or certified medical technologists, dental hygienists, physician assistants, accountants, chefs, athletic trainers with degrees or specialized training, computer system analysts, programmers and software engineers.
...seems like alot of people to me.

·
too cute
1,357 Posts
One thing where i think Cali got it right. Any time worked after 8 hrs in a day is considered overtime. So if you worked 10 hrs one day, 2 hours of it would be overtime. It gets even better though, anything over 12 hrs, in a single workshift, is considered double overtime. So if you worked 14 hours one day, 8 would be regular, 4 would be overtime, and 2 would be double overtime. So basically you could get overtime without having to work over 40 hours in a week. I miss being able to use this sort of overtime system :(

1 - 20 of 40 Posts