The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well the engine in my altima sucked up 2 screws and the butterfly valve itself at 84,000 miles and basically has eaten up the inside of my engine ( I guess without paying for Nissan to tear it apart) The service manager showed me how every valve was loose and every screw was too so my guess is they would have eventually all fallen in the engine. What I need to know is where is the cheapest place or what is the cheapest route to get a new/used engine put into my car. I figure some people here have had experience with it. I would like SOME kind of warranty with it also. Anyway if anyone here has a QR25DE esp. one from 02-03 check your valves out because I would hate for this to happen to someone else. If your screws are loose you can loctite them to prevent them from coming out but call 1-800-NISSAN1 and let them know that they were lose and its BS and a factory defect. I am hoping one day they do a recall and will reimburse me for this BS but I wont hold my breath. The more calls they get, the more likely a recall will happen. Anyway here are 2 pics of mine.

High Res: Pic 1 Pic 2

My original thread:
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188388

Here is how common the problem is:
http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=86248&highlight=butterfly
And here is how to check and loctite them:
http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78051&highlight=butterfly

·
Registered
63 Posts
My old 2.5 had this happen. I think it lost one and sheared the second one on the same butterfly and it twitsted it. the dealer replaced it and two weeks later it was totaled when an old lady hit it while we stopped on the freeway and she was going 65.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to hear that. It amazes me how many people seem to have this problem with the loose screws or missing screws and Nissan doesnt want to do much about it. I am wondering if maybe taking them to small claims court with a bunch of evidence from the web of others having the same problem and a statement maybe from each of the service manager at all of the local Nissan dealerships saying how much they have seen it and how many engines they have replaced because of it would get me anywhere. I dont know how else to get them to assist you know or atleast speed up there decision to hopefully do a recall.

Rich

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Decoy said:
maybe if you bought a first or second gen you wouldn't had this problem... crappy qr25de
Trust me I have thought the same thing. Actually the wife has said why dont you get the 3.5 put in there instead of another 2.5 since the 3.5's havent really had any problems yet.

:angry2:

·
Always something better
1,700 Posts
Thats a pretty cheap way to put an engine together, my friend has an 02 or 03 2.5 I gotta ask her cause she probably has 80k by now and those butterflies who knows what condition they are in.

Seems this should be more wide spread the 2.5 is the bulk of sales, have you searched on edmunds, this sounds like a problem that never should have happened, I would take it to court

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
EDGE said:
Thats a pretty cheap way to put an engine together, my friend has an 02 or 03 2.5 I gotta ask her cause she probably has 80k by now and those butterflies who knows what condition they are in.

Seems this should be more wide spread the 2.5 is the bulk of sales, have you searched on edmunds, this sounds like a problem that never should have happened, I would take it to court
Edmunds: GLAD TO SEE THE 2005'S HAVEN'T BEEN FIXED EITHER
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/[email protected]@.ef06fa1/956!keywords=allin%3Amsgtext%20limit%3ANissan%3AAltima%20butterfly

Google results:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22butterfly+screws%22+nissan

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
EDGE said:
I thought I read your extended warranty is not gonna cover this, then what the hell is it for, have you read the fine print, who is this company.

How handy are you, 600 bucks can get you a low mileage engine http://www.sawmillsalvage.com/
American Mercury Insurance group. Page 4 says it covers every part of your engine in the case of mechanical breakdown. But the last page in the fine print says it does not cover about 100 things and 2 of those being fasteners and screws. Then scroll down and it says does not cover mechainical breakdown caused by any non-covered item. Nice warranty dont ya think. I dont know what I can do to atleast get my money back from them. I can send anyone the PDF of the contract if they would like to see. I got hosed. I can get soemone to pull and install mny engine for $500 so thats a total of $1100 which isnt bad at all. I might go ahead and do that.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I called around and found this place that is local.

http://www.americanengineinstallations.com/

Anyone ever hear anything about them. They are nationwide so let me know.

I got these prices on an '04 w/ 15,000 miles.

1 yr unlimited miles
$2384 + tax

2 yr unlimited miles
$2484 + tax

Lifetime unlimited miles
$2584 + tax

Let me know which one is the best deal. I would guess lifetime. They said it is on the engine only, if it ever does break I am responsible for the $850 in labor to put the new engine in but not the cost of the engine.

Rich

·
Always something better
1,700 Posts
How many more miles you plan to keep the car for, even if you put another 80k on the new engine the new engine has what 95k and the car has 160k

The warranty is either 100 or 200 extra, if you have the extra and are gonna keep the car for another 100k go for he 200, do those prices include install.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
EDGE said:
How many more miles you plan to keep the car for, even if you put another 80k on the new engine the new engine has what 95k and the car has 160k

The warranty is either 100 or 200 extra, if you have the extra and are gonna keep the car for another 100k go for he 200, do those prices include install.
Wife is next in line for a new car so I will be with this for a long while. I am probably going to just spend the extra 200 and get the lifetime. And yea that is installed. Everything but tax. The guy checked and said the only thing he would have to used off of my current engine is my starter and my compressor. That part confuses me, but whater since I get to keep my current engine and all the parts on it. I would have expected a lot more to be pulled off of my current one.

Rich

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
EDGE said:
Seems like a good deal, you gonna loctite those butterfly screws on the new 1 :wall:
Trust me that will be the first thing I do. Actually I talked to the guy and told him the whole story and he said he will take care of loctiting them for me and I told him I wanted to see it before he put the manifold back on. Its 1 problem after the other so I hope this one lasts.

Rich

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I had a similiar problem with Isuzu a few years ago. I had a rodeo and the timing belt broke and damaged the engine. I was about 10000 miles out of warranty, but still well under the mileage that the timing belt was supposed to be changed at.

The dealer said they couldn't do anything. I had my car towed to a local shop and they started working on it, basically rebuilding the engine. I called Isuzu and told them the story. The next day my dealer called and said to have the vehicle towed to them and they would take care of it. It took them 4 weeks to fix it but did it at no charge. About 6 months later I got a recall in the mail for the timing belt. It stated that severe engine damage could happen if the recall was not done. It also stated that anyone who had had this problem would be reimbursed.

I would just make sure you hold on to all the receipts you get for the repair work. If you can get your dealer to put in writing what happened to the engine that would be good too. That way if a recall comes out on this you may be able to get some or all of your money back. If this happenes to enough engines (which is appears to have already) they should eventually come out with a recall.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
chrisschnider said:
I had a similiar problem with Isuzu a few years ago. I had a rodeo and the timing belt broke and damaged the engine. I was about 10000 miles out of warranty, but still well under the mileage that the timing belt was supposed to be changed at.

The dealer said they couldn't do anything. I had my car towed to a local shop and they started working on it, basically rebuilding the engine. I called Isuzu and told them the story. The next day my dealer called and said to have the vehicle towed to them and they would take care of it. It took them 4 weeks to fix it but did it at no charge. About 6 months later I got a recall in the mail for the timing belt. It stated that severe engine damage could happen if the recall was not done. It also stated that anyone who had had this problem would be reimbursed.

I would just make sure you hold on to all the receipts you get for the repair work. If you can get your dealer to put in writing what happened to the engine that would be good too. That way if a recall comes out on this you may be able to get some or all of your money back. If this happenes to enough engines (which is appears to have already) they should eventually come out with a recall.
Thats what I am hoping for and what I have been doing, I have gotten 2 Nissan service managers to state what has happened since they both looked at it and pictures reciepts everythign is being saved. Sucked to have to spend it now though. Oh well

Thanks,
Rich

·
A+, MCP
1,111 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
HKNinja said:
What was the sign of this problem? Is it anything like my thread?
http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2498273#post2498273
Well to be honest I never changed my own oil. I have however checked on occasion and it was NEVER completely full. Maybe like 3/4 or so, so it probably was burning a lot of oil. The main symptoms I noticed was the hiccups or stattuers while driving. Then the occasional STALL when stopping. My guess though is that it really started doing the only when the plate itself fell into the engine. The screws probably scored the walls and causing the engine oil to burn and then the plate itself hit the sparks. I know my #4 spark was damaged faily badly which meant it got hit pretty hard. I am trying to get something together to get Nissan to resolve the issue. For now the car is still sitting though and will be for a while. Make sure you check your screws though. Take pics if you can and post your findings as any findings will assist in building a case against Nissan. Mine had every screw loose and every plate had a wobble to it. It would have only been a matter of time until they all fell off. Makes me sick. Anyone that knows anything about engines knows that a screw or bolt on an internal part of the engine needs to be loctited. I dont understand how something this simple can slip through the cracks at Nissan.

This is exactly what happened to me:

Taken from a 2005 owner on edmunds.com
"I have a 2005 Altima with 16000, I bought it in May with 500 miles. Two days ago it died on me when I come to a stop in a parking lot. It died again when I backed out. I drove it home and when I got there I noticed a rough idle, sort of like a continuous hiccup. I called in to my dealer and drove the car in, while on my way the check engine light came on, and the car was driving really rough, bad case of the hick ups. We made it to the dealer (though I was sure we wouldn't). When I dropped it off they didn't seem to know what was wrong. The next morning I get a call that some butterfly flap was stuck open and ruined the cylinder. My engine has to be replaced. Yes it is under warranty, BUT MY ENGINE HAS TO BE REPLACED!!!! This is why I bought a new car so it would be reliable. When I got to the dealer to pick up a loaner (that I had to fight to get). I asked, what the heck is going on? And he said they had replaced 3 engines this month!!! on the 2005. So if you have 2005 I would look into the engine and be sure all is well."

·
Always something better
1,700 Posts
Rich

Try contacting Consumer Reports and see what they say and the local news media/stations would probably have more power when trying to ask Nissan.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts