The Nissan Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking to get a low profile car jack. But I'm not certain about the capacity I need eg. 1 1/2 ton or 2 ton. I know that our car's (2.5) weight about 3000 lbs. So i'm guessing the 1 1/2 ton jack should be fine, or do I need to go up to a 2 ton? or is that just overkill.

Here's are the one's I'm looking at:
1.5 ton capacity

or:
2 ton capacity

Thanks.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Joe if your looking to get the jack you pump the handle for it to go up than I would recommend getting 2 ton and up. I think the clearance you'll have with most of these types of jacks is anywhere from 4 to 6 inches.

·
Fibre Customs
14,959 Posts
Most floor jacks are 2ton, thats more then plenty as your not lifting the whole car off the ground at once. I have some lowprofile ramps I bought along time ago for one of my other cars. They work nice for getting my floorjack completely under my car of i need to. Just seen in the paper a place here had them all aluminum lowprofile jacks for $89.00, was thinking of picking one up.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Hey Joe - There are 2 types of jacks I've seen and the name and features of them are;

1. Michelin Aluminium Jack - 3 - 3/4" Low Profile design can raise to 18" max height and has a wider jack stance which increases overall stability
2. 2 Ton Low Profile Jack - design to fit under cars that have been lowered or have ground effects. Lifts from 3 -1/2" to 14".
Now this is from Canadian Tires in Ontario Canada - Try Pep Boys.

·
Fibre Customs
14,959 Posts
lowriderman3 said:
That Michelin looks nice. Here is one that I found a link to from another forum about on low profile jacks. Jack only weights 35 lbs.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47246
Thats the place....I have one of there store outlets here, they were on sale for $89.00.

Here is the lowprofile ramp I have, it starts out a 2" and goes to 3" so the front of your car cant be lower then 3" or you wont be able to get your car on it. Whats nice is there plastic...very lightweight to carry and have a 5000lbs load capacity!

http://www.protechproducts.net/images/tools.asp

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Be careful what you buy from harbor freight. You get exactly what you pay for. All that stuff is extremely cheap and made in China.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
True. The majority of their merchandise, especially most of what is found in their ads is the off brand. I have found a few good items there :)

·
X-Mod
6,471 Posts
I have the cheapest 1.5 ton China floor jack that Harbor Freight sold back in about 1990. I think I paid $15 for it. It works great to this day, and I use it OFTEN. I removed the cup thing (only useful for lifting solid axles really) and glued a piece of rubber on the flat plate and it fits under my car fine. Never even added a drop of oil.

I still have quite a few of the cheap China air tools I bought at the same time working just as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts