The Nissan Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I've noticed a buzzing noise coming from somewhere in the front. Sounds like metal on metal buzzing. It's very noticeable when the vehicle is cold and gets quieter as the car warms up. It also seems to clunk when I hit a bump. I was thinking heat shield but the location of the noise tells me otherwise. It's coming from the front right of the car, not sure if it's outside or inside the cabin. Any ideas?? I noticed that consumer guide says something about a BTV valve that sometimes rattles on the 2nd gens. What's a BTV valve?? The noise is getting very annoying!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe, it really sounds like a buzzing noise though. I know it's a loose metal object somewhere!

·
22,052 Posts
Turn the car on, and with the hood open, see if the sound is coming from the left side of the valve cover. (Left side as you're facing the engine)

Our timing chains tend to make a lot of noise....and they get worse with age.

I think they sound like someone spinning a marble in a coffee can.

Side note: We also have very loud injectors that could be perceived as a buzzing noise as they pulse, but I doubt that's what you hear.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've tried that, but the noise can only be heard inside the car. Nothing that resembles the noise is coming from the engine compartment. It sounds like its coming from right below the right side of the windshield, inside or outside.....I think. It only really buzzes when I accelerate; it goes away when I'm up the speed and cruising. I know something is loose, but I don’t know what!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha!! I guess now would be a good time to get a system. By the way, what is a BTV valve??

·
Registered
21 Posts
I get the same thing. It sorta sounds like its coming from either the air-bag unit behind the radio, or from the blower motor? behind the glove box.

·
Turbo Motorhead
3,466 Posts
BTV may actually stand for "BPT". It's a valve that's part of the emissions system on 1st gens. Check to see if this may be your problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts