The Nissan Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Like a Villain
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
damnit. i was getting my 2 front stock tires balanced. the mechanic pulls off the left front tire and we see boot grease leaking. he says the cv boot is busted :angry2: . labor and the new boot would cost about 140, but for $15 more he would replace the whole axle. $180 out the door (including tax) for a brand new axle. the sad thing is that i ordered some tokicos and dont expect those for at least 2 weeks, then i want to order my coil overs (really need them), THEN i start work on the axle. so it sounds like it'll be at least 3-4 weeks before i get a new axle. the mechanic said i should be ok for a few weeks, but not to forget about it. what do you guys think? should i order the new axle before the coil overs, because i found a guy who would do my suspension work and i'd hate to keep coming back over and over, whereas i can get everything done at once.

:angry2:

·
Am I still a NOOB?
2,082 Posts
Yo Chris, go ahead and finish up your suspension work first, tokicos, coilovers etc. The axle will hold up. I've been driving, HARD DRIVING, with broken boots for a little over 3 months now, thank god, knock on wood, no problems. So you'll surely be fine.

·
clean freak
3,377 Posts
i just sent you a PM the price they are giving you is good, just don't know if I would get it done there. I have had issues with them in the past.

But you should get your car ready and be ready by 9/6 to run it at the track. We are having a meet at Speedworld that Friday.

·
Boosted Member
2,266 Posts
i've been driving with a busted boot for a month now...i have the new axle in my garage, just need to change it....i figure the only thing i can hurt is the axle itself and i have another one so it doens't bother me

·
ju kan du et
476 Posts
Dude, I replaced both drive axles for $150. I bought them in Pep Boys and had my mechanic put them on. I saw him while he did it and it's really not that hard. You can probably do it yourself.

·
Boosted Member
2,266 Posts
jreguera: how did you get the shaft out of the tranny? i'm talking about the drivers side where you are supposed to "pry" it out, what did you use to pry it out and how did you get it back in?

thanks

any info would help

·
ju kan du et
476 Posts
I didn't install them I had my mechanic do it, but if I remember correctly he just took out a screw and used a screw driver. It came right out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts