The Nissan Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
You're my boy Blue!
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an auto and I want to get a CAI for the low end gains. I have read that there are fittment problems with the ABS unit and CAI, but nothing more specific than mentioning the problem.

I was wondering how difficult it is to install with ABS on your car and what types of alterations need to be made to get good fitment.

I did a search and have not found any answers. If you have done it, or can point me to a thread that would be of help, it will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

d!

·
319 Posts
I had the same problem with a HS CAI. I called HS and sent back the upper pipe. They redid it, and now it is fits somewhat ok. I put a little bit of padding in between the ABS pump and the intake pipe just to try and be cautious.

JH

·
Resident NICO Mod
5,972 Posts
Yeh flame proof padding might be the way you will have to go. I was on the phone with you when I ran out and check it on my 93. If you need to use my car as a test bed for fitment and not worry about damaging the ABS you are welcome to test the fit on mine. I don't give a crap if you break anything on it...:D

·
:-)
2,049 Posts
Mine works. The upper pipe does get pushed against the ABS, which in turn pushed the filter against the black plastic wheel well (I twist-tied mine up a bit so it stopped pushing against it. It takes a little bit of wiggling and odd angles but it will work. I used a little bit of inustrial strngth ruubber with a sticky back and put it on my pump. From the looks of it, the rubber is protecting my CAI not my pump. Its a solid block. I also had to cut my battery tray.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
I tried installing the Place Racing CAI. And it was a "no go". My ABS unit was in the way and the upper tube couldn't get snuggly fit with the throttle body opening. When I thought the tube was secured tightly, I would give it a tug and it would just slip right off the throttle body. Southwest Autoworks were good sports and let me return the intake to them. (Thanks Alex) So then I went the route of building a homebrewed short ram intake.

Have a look at the link in my sig.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
AltimaDude99 said:
what'd you build yours out of flamearrow?
It's just the generic OBX WAI from southwest auto with...
- an extra 3" diameter intake hose coupler
- hose clamps
- 3" diameter aluminum tubing.

The support braces are made from aluminum strips that you can find in the hardware/door section of Home Depot, and are bolted down using the existing bolts and holes that held down the stock airbox.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts