The Nissan Club banner

CAI and CAT-Back? Newby Qs.

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  flarearrow 
"cat-back" means you replace the exhaust piping with typically larger diameter pipe from the catalytic converter to the end of the tailpipe. hence from the "cat back".

You probably won't gain much if anything from a cat-back exhaust on a QR25, but I'm no expert here. For performance parts for that engine, you'd probably be best off heading to a Sentra site such as www.b15sentra.net or something where this engine is the "performance option" instead of the "grocery getter standard engine" that it is here. The guys after performance here all seem to have the 3.5 engine. So you might have better luck at a Sentra site as far as learning performance parts go ;)

Re: More On Cat-Back...

SE-Rious said:
All too often you see the Hondah
boys outfitting their civics with 3 inch piping. Loud, You bet!
Better performance? Doubtful.
True. Overly large piping will result in lost backpressure and lots of low-end torque for only a minimal gain at the top-end.

BTW, it's Honduh ;)

OpalBlue - Yeah, definitely head over to the Sentra forums. The Spec-V guys have the same engine, and hopefully the engine bay layout is such that any mod developed for them would work for you also. If there are any performance company reps over on the Sentra forums, definitely get into contact with them and let them know that you're interested in getting the parts to work on the Altima too.

OpalBlue said:
If I can tweak maybe 25 more HP from it, it will compete well against everyone else's V6's. Now THAT (a V6 accord owner getting beat by an I4 Altima owner) would be embarassing.
I've got respect for the 4-banger 5spd's. My V6/auto is heavier and stuck with a less efficient auto tranny and that can make a big difference. Accord L4/5spd's, properly driven can hang right with an Accord V6/auto up to 60 mph and through the 1/4 mile (about 88 mph) because they have better gearing. After they have to upshift to 4th (94 mph) is when we pull many many cars on them though because we still have a lot to go in 3rd gear (116 mph) so I can stay in the power gear for longer until I have to hit an overdrive gear there there's no power.

The new Alty 2.5S/5spd has even more power though, and about the same weight as an Accord L4/5spd with 150 HP. I wouldn't be surprised at all if a 2.5S could take an Accord V6 stock.

I've got a couple of mods that might say otherwise in my particular case though (but my car is wrecked :( )

Check out THIS THREAD. I took a look at 2.5S/5spd performance in it and it looks very good - you might ahve missed it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.