The Nissan Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how is it that a cai does not bring in water? I have a wai on and i have the custom stuff for a cai but i think its going to bring it water so i have not done it yet...am i worring for no reason?

·
Rollin' On Jordans
657 Posts
if you are really worried about it you can buy a bypass valve from AEM for like $50.

·
Rollin' On Jordans
657 Posts
Siizzzoooo said:
AEM bypass valves are a waste of money. they are cheaply made and blow out easy.
i never bought one....i live in chicago, and i've never had any problems with my cai and water/snow.

·
caviar cartel
1,686 Posts
Ive got a cai, and have had no probs with water. Driving on rainy days, going over medium depth puddles and water splashing off doesnt seen to be a problem at all. There is a panel covering the filter, and i think you'd have to actually go into a puddle that would be deep enough to submurge a part of the filter. Still what i do is try to avoid going over deep puddles on the left and when going over medium depth puddles keep it at idle. You might be paranoid about the water while driving through the puddle, but dont rev and dry to ditch it as quick as possible as that will pull quite a bit more air/water and increase your chances of flooding it. -pr0:( :)

·
Die Trying
2,063 Posts
i bought a bypass valve for insurance, turns out, it hurt performance. I felt a noticable difference in power. So i took it off.

i've had my cai for over a year, and not one problem with water.
the filter must be totally submerged in water for you to hydrolock the car, otherwise, little spray from a rainstorm ain't shit

·
Die Trying
2,063 Posts
ZKrazy said:
i posted like months and months ago about this. by putting the bypass valve on, you're actually turning your cai into a wai.
i thought it was BS, then i realized how true it is
they suck for performance and aren't worth the
drop in power for the feeling of being safe.
JUST DON'T DRIVE THROUGH ANY DITCHES,
RIVERS, OR LAKES, and you'll be fine

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think you guys must be talking about the Place Racing CAI... it's protected from water by that flap in your fender. My question is on the SWAW CAI. The filter ends up more in the middle of the engine compartment - to the left of the battery and isn't protected by much of anything.

So I'm wondering (depending on how far DOWN the filter sits) if when I go through a puddle, that thing is going to get hosed and hydro-loc. We get alot more rain and snow in WI than AZ, should I be conserned with installing the SWAW CAI on my car up here?

-jvh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.