The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna be getting a CAI for my 03' 3.5 and have heard a few different brands mentioned. Can you guys with CAIs give me some feedback on which is best, (performance, cost and reliability), or are they all pretty comparible. Also which has better gains WAI or CAI, I live in Southern Caly so the rain isnt a problem. I appreciate any help!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow,
You guys are great, ask a question and the shit starts. Was just lookin for some opinions directly from people who have made this mod to their cars. So if you you havent, dont post, find something better to do, mama told ya'll to feed the animals anyways! But thanks for your replies !!

·
Registered
953 Posts
edouble said:
I'm gonna be getting a CAI for my 03' 3.5 and have heard a few different brands mentioned. Can you guys with CAIs give me some feedback on which is best, (performance, cost and reliability), or are they all pretty comparible. Also which has better gains WAI or CAI, I live in Southern Caly so the rain isnt a problem. I appreciate any help!!
edouble,
Dont worry about those other guys. Its just that this topic has been beaten to a pulp, well actually beaten down so hard on that it like down to dust!!!! hahahaha. Well I installed a INJEN CAI! I love it! Check out my registry. Anyways if your lookin to buy a CAI there are three kind you can buy that I know of.

1.) INJEN - Looks great for show and under the hood. And the performance is great also. Gives you the throaty deep sound. Not a ricey, weed whacker sound. A bit pricey though. Ranging from $250 to $300 (V6 that is)

2.) AEM - There are a few diputes about this CAI. Some people like and some dont because there is a oogly bend in the pipe that goes down into the wheel well. Ask for pics for the AEM and you'll see what im talkin about. Thats my opinion and Tweeks. But its cheaper then INJEN. $200 to $250 (V6 as well)

3.) Place Racing - Dont know much about this intake. But it is a CAI. There are some alty owners that have this. I heard that you have to cut into the body or fender and thats where the pipe goes through and the filter. Supposedly this is the TRUE CAI. I think this is the cheapest of the 3. Approx $180 to $210 (Not to sure if its V6 or I4)

As for WAI there is frankencar. It comes with a midpipe and a apexi dry filter. Its supposedly gets a little more HP then the CAI. I think its because of the dry air filter. With the frankencar intake you can pay up to 200+ thats with the apexi dry filter. Theres more on the frankencar intake but dont know much about it either.

Well this is all just my opinion and as much as I know. Hope this helps. I live in NorCal. San Jose to be exact and it doesnt rain much here either. But the mornings and nights are really cold during the winter and thats when, well I think, that the CAI really works the best! You can really feel the POWER!! Have fun!!!!:cool: :D

Also WAI have better high end and CAI have better low to mid range. Just what I got from other threads that I have read. Somebody correct me if im wrong.:p

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Iceman,
Thanks for the info, that is exactly what I was looking for. I'm going in the morning to Mossy in Oceanside to get my exhaust done. Cant wait !! I'm gonna look at the AEM intake but will probably wait for awhile on that mod. I definately like the cosmetic looks of the injen. Your ride is sweet, I'll post pics of mine one day when I get a digi cam. Right now priority is mods for my baby.
Thanks again,

edouble

·
TALL member
11,882 Posts
hey edouble...gotta say that the V6 Injen Cai's are 200-250....I got quoted one for 300 but that was such B.S. that I just laughed at them and left. Check out Adventon.com and SWA. Good luck!!! I have the Injen CAI too...and I LOVE IT!!!!!!:D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tweeks,
Right on, the guy at Mossy is pushing for the AEM because he stocks them. But I'm gonna look into it more. But I sure like the looks and sound of the Injen. Your ride is tight, cant wait to get my wheels and lower mine. Thanks again guys !!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Not a prob! GO INJEN INTAKE GO INJEN INTAKE GO INJEN INTAKE GOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

You know the speed racer song! hahaha n/m im stupid

·
Registered
938 Posts
Aem is comming out with a v2 cold air intake, wait for it! it has a scavenging effect that acually has a mild supercharge effect. They have a model for the civics now that was voted best new product a SEMA. It makes noticable gains over their standard CAI. Keep us posted on how the exhaust goes and your impressions!

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I purchase my Injen Racing CAI for $209 shipped at SWA. Considering that the Injen is more expensive than the AEM b/c it's better looking. Don't get me wrong, I didn't buy the Injen strictly for looks. I bought it since I got a excellent deal and the material is of high quality. The performance is also one of the big reasons why I bought it.

·
the neighbor of the beast
630 Posts
Since the door is open for noob questions, I won't be scared and ask one...

What would be the best plan for getting an injen cai with an apexi filter on it? Does injen offer it that way? If not, has anyone tryed an apexi filter on a cai? Surely it fits.

As stated by iceman:

"As for WAI there is frankencar. It comes with a midpipe and a apexi dry filter. Its supposedly gets a little more HP then the CAI. I think its because of the dry air filter. With the frankencar intake you can pay up to 200+ thats with the apexi dry filter. Theres more on the frankencar intake but dont know much about it either"

In my perception the Frankencar's wai biggest ad is the dry apexi filter, but in the summer it would seem the advantage would be almost null from sucking the hot-ass air from under the hood. If the apexi is that great, could maybe use colder air to be even better.

Oh and Tweek... nice example of yer split personality :confused:

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
To sausage5000;

I have news for you. There is not much in the way of "hot-ass air from under the hood" with the V6 in the area where a WAI filter would be. There have been a number of people on this site (including myself) who will attest to this fact. So that's really a non-issue.

·
630 Posts
pvick said:
To sausage5000;

I have news for you. There is not much in the way of "hot-ass air from under the hood" with the V6 in the area where a WAI filter would be. There have been a number of people on this site (including myself) who will attest to this fact. So that's really a non-issue.
Thank you for the news. Sorry if I insulted the air qaulity under your hood. Hopefully you can see that the temperature of said air was not my question, as I have read many threads speculating on this. Maybe my choice of words was not proper in referring to the warm air.

Anyway, the question is, has anyone tried putting an apexi filter on a injen CAI, and will it fit?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Them BASTARDS! hahahaha. Its ok! I got GO GO INJEN! GO GO INJEN! GO GO INJEN GOOOOO!!!! <--you know, the speed racer them! hahahaha..

·
B ON BLU
187 Posts
AEM

here's a pic of the AEM installed. I like it, it sounds good and improved in the overall power.

Plus I got a hell of a good deal on it :)

·
Registered
953 Posts
sting,
it mathces very nicely with your blue car....very nice....and the exhaust...2 thumbs up!!!

·
630 Posts
So nobody has tried putting a dry Apexi filter on a CAI? I have searched and read countless threads on the CAI vs. WAI subject and have found nothing.

Could it be possible that the reason there is no great difference in HP gain between a CAI and Frankencar's WAI is that the Apexi filter has such good flow it makes up for any advantage a CAI with an oiled filter would give over a WAI?

Hello?

Since the Apexi filter is known for such great flow, I am amazed that nobody has tried this. Or you did try it and are all just playing ignore the newbie.

It needs to be tried before anyone rules it out, or maybe it's just my newbie mind playing tricks on me. :p

1 - 20 of 26 Posts