The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
NO LIFE POSTER
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 200.00 to spend on my car and was thinking is the cai really worth the extra $$ vs the wai.. 300.00 for a intake is a lot of money.. The main thing I am looking to get out of either one is alittle more gas mileage and sound.

·
NO LIFE POSTER
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea the only thing I am looking at is the 229.00 vs 69.00.. I saw some gts univeral side skirts that I can get for 136.00 shipped for 2. That way I could get the wai and the side skirts.

·
Lost my Alty, miss it...
378 Posts
Go for the WAI, the performance different is not that big. Since the Altima engine compartment is very roomy, the temp different bwtween CAI and WAI is very small especially when the car is moving.

With a WAI, you don't need to worry about hydrolock; it's quick to convert back to stock if you want to go to the dealer for warranty issues.

·
NO LIFE POSTER
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PhilGood said:
Go for the WAI, the performance different is not that big.

inbetween the cai or over the factory setup.?

·
Altimas.net
4,928 Posts
^ damn you PhilGood:p, thats what I was looking for, but good job on finding it.

PR CAI - 209.08 HP @ 5000 RPM - 237.09 ft/lbs Torque @ 3350 RPM (SAE Adjusted)
PR WAI - 213.67 HP @ 4800 to 5000 RPM - 240.03 ft/lbs Torque @ 3400 RPM (SAE Adjusted)

WAI owns :D

·
614 Posts
THE FASTEST ALTIMAS THE FASTEST MAXIMAS ALL HAVE WAI INTAKE....thats all i can say

·
NO LIFE POSTER
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sounds like a winner to me. Southwestautoworks here I come.

What does the PR WAI mean. Place racing?

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Here's a tip. You should never consider performance modifications with fuel economy as a factor. If you do, you may miss out on some mods which will give you the performance you want.

If, on the other hand, the mods you do perform also aid your mileage, then think of this as icing on the cake. In general, bolt on mods like intake, exhaust, and UDPs will result in increased economy along with improved performance.

It's kinda like buying a boat. If you are worried or concerned about fuel usage, you are probably not ready for the boat.

·
iLoveUman
1,116 Posts
once the car is in motion the extra CAI tubing just becomes a restriction. this has been tested over and over at the ORG, WAI will outrun CAI every time.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Over at Maxima.org a member dynoed the place racing CAI and then a WAI. The WAI produced more HP every time. That is with a midpipe and not just a pop charger alone.

·
iLoveUman
1,116 Posts
well if the theory holds true, then more pipe = more restriction = less top end. The midpipe is supposed to be a compromised between the CAI and WAI. It yields more immediate off the line low end than a pop charger but less than a CAI, and the pop charger should yield more top end than a midpipe because it doesn't have the restriction of extra tubing.

·
NO LIFE POSTER
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i am looking to buy one. I have the $$$$$

·
Registered
938 Posts
The only reason the WAI dynoed more is because they have a fan blowing on it and the hood is left open. Waiting at the strip should heat soak the wai enough to rob h.p. for the first 10-15 seconds
until you get the air moving.

·
Altimas.net
4,928 Posts
Dallas said:
The only reason the WAI dynoed more is because they have a fan blowing on it and the hood is left open. Waiting at the strip should heat soak the wai enough to rob h.p. for the first 10-15 seconds
until you get the air moving.

good point, but for most people daily driving a WAI is best

·
614 Posts
I first HAD a AEM CAI intake..then i switched to a custom WAI set up...and i felt a little more power with the WAI.....proof of whats better is in the #'s..and the quickest VQ35 all have WAI.
The Injen looks real cool, but my moneys on the one that makes my ride faster.

·
iLoveUman
1,116 Posts
The only reason the WAI dynoed more is because they have a fan blowing on it and the hood is left open. Waiting at the strip should heat soak the wai enough to rob h.p. for the first 10-15 seconds until you get the air moving.
the air is moving halfway through first gear, after that the WAI owns the CAI, which would be through bottom 3rd/top 4rth in 1/4 mile runs. In a car with so much bottom end torque like the VQ, the minor advantages of the CAI up to say 10mph or so is negligible. For practical purposes, a car with hood up and fan blowing in is equivalent to car moving at ~10mph, so if you have a CAI you've got the advantage at anything less than that. Proof in the pudding is that all the fastest VQ35s run WAIs, not much else to say. IMO, those CAIs are maybe only effective in those torque-less honda motors, but even then in a 5sp you could launch with a little more rev to compensate for any imaginary "heat soak" and have the advantage over the CAI halfway through first gear once the car is moving. By moving I don't mean 90mph moving, I mean ~10mph moving is all it takes to counteract any "cold air" benefits a CAI might have.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts