The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
say when.....
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All these damn hurricanes make my wife and I want to move the hell out of FLA. Would like to head out to so cal. Except, I know you guys have earthquakes, etc................

What is it like out there? Where would be a nice place to reside, that won't make me have to work 3 jobs?! HA!!!

Thanks.

Ryan

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'd imagine that for newcomers to CA, Riverside, San Bernendino, or Corona would be the easiest places to start out as the housing is much cheaper there than in OC, LA, or the Vally. It's not at all nice, but it's cheaper, and there are jobs to be had that do not require any kind of skill or education.

I've been here for all the earthquakes in the last 24 years and I think the total damage sustained to us was a one broken mirror in the Northridge quake.

There are other factors that you may be overlooking, like smogg testing, car registration, taxes, etc. These are the reasons FL is remotely appealing to me. Your cost of living will raise significantly, outside of housing costs. You need to be prepaired for all of these things.

bigirish said:
All these damn hurricanes make my wife and I want to move the hell out of FLA. Would like to head out to so cal. Except, I know you guys have earthquakes, etc................

What is it like out there? Where would be a nice place to reside, that won't make me have to work 3 jobs?! HA!!!

Thanks.

Ryan

·
say when.....
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Philabong said:
I'd imagine that for newcomers to CA, Riverside, San Bernendino, or Corona would be the easiest places to start out as the housing is much cheaper there than in OC, LA, or the Vally. It's not at all nice, but it's cheaper, and there are jobs to be had that do not require any kind of skill or education.

I've been here for all the earthquakes in the last 24 years and I think the total damage sustained to us was a one broken mirror in the Northridge quake.

There are other factors that you may be overlooking, like smogg testing, car registration, taxes, etc. These are the reasons FL is remotely appealing to me. Your cost of living will raise significantly, outside of housing costs. You need to be prepaired for all of these things.
I didn't think about the smog testing, etc. As far as jobs are concerned, I would be able to transfer to the Allstate claims office in San Diego. My wife would probably be able to get a transfer w/ her co. as well.

My wife is already looking at houses online! HA!!!

·
Registered
447 Posts
^^^ If thats the case then I would try to find something down there. Corona, Riverside or San Bernardino would be quite the commute to San Diego. I am sure there are areas like the aforementioned areas down closer to San Diego. Ry might now.

And about the higher cost of living, I cannot say that is untrue, but there are benefits to it. Weather is better than FL, not just with the hurricanes but humidity is lower here. CA also has the cheapest higher education costs than any other state. People complain about that going up as well, but it is still the best deal you can get for a college degree.

·
Registered
28,959 Posts
Houses are expensive here in San Diego County. Check down in the Chula Vista/Otay area. The market is cooling off now and they're are a lot of homes spending a longer amout of time up for sale.

Where is the Allstate claims office in San Diego?

·
Registered
26 Posts
bigirish said:
I didn't think about the smog testing, etc. As far as jobs are concerned, I would be able to transfer to the Allstate claims office in San Diego. My wife would probably be able to get a transfer w/ her co. as well.

My wife is already looking at houses online! HA!!!
Sweet then. I'd start looking for places etc in the sandy eggo area.

I'd start in Sierra Mesa, Mira Mesa, Poway, Escondito. These places are all up the 15 from Downtown. Should be on the cheaper side of the fence for housing and whatnot. Expect to pay $1400 for a one bed one bath apt.

Those places are in acceptable driving distance from down town SD. It would be a commute but the traffic in SD is nothing like So Cal.

Also check things line insurance rates, car registration, drivers licsence, state income tax, etc. These will be the costs that break the preverbial camels back when moving here because the costs are so much higher (usually).

·
Banned
0 Posts
From hurricanes and 200% humidity to fires, flash floods, and earthquakes...tough choice :p

I'm actually thinking about moving to Nor Cal myself :sad:

·
cruiser
1,016 Posts
Similarly, I was talking to my gf and couldn't understand why people would want live in places where hurricanes come by every 5-6 years and rip apart everything. I guess it depends on what you value. Home prices are waaaaay too expensive around here. Otherwise, the weather, entertainment, and etc is awesome. I would think that home prices in SD > LA but much less crowded.

·
say when.....
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ry said:
Houses are expensive here in San Diego County. Check down in the Chula Vista/Otay area. The market is cooling off now and they're are a lot of homes spending a longer amout of time up for sale.

Where is the Allstate claims office in San Diego?
Ry:

The claims office is: 15030 Avenue Of Science, San Diego, CA 92128

How far of a drive do you think, if I was to live in one of the above mentioned areas?

Thanks.

Ryan

·
CoatKnee
555 Posts
I live in San Diego, its cool just gotta live in the right spot..

traffic was cool when i was going to school south cause the drive home had no traffic ( due to everyone driving south to get home) haha

on the otherside i work at the beach and thats west so everyone and their bald headed mother be out there my man

be prepared to hustle bigtime if u not bringing home $100K hahahaha

Move to vegas haha its fun out there

·
say when.....
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^^HA!

The wifey and I are planning to head out to San Diego in the next couple of months to check things out. Please keep the suggestions coming.

Thanks.

Ryan

·
Registered
28,959 Posts
bigirish said:
Ry:

The claims office is: 15030 Avenue Of Science, San Diego, CA 92128

How far of a drive do you think, if I was to live in one of the above mentioned areas?

Thanks.

Ryan
Oh. That's going to be somewhat of a drive from down in Otay, 45 minutes to an hour in the morning. You may want to look in Poway, Rancho Penasquitos, Rancho Bernardo, Carmel Mountain, Carmel Valley.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts