The Nissan Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a small block chevy guy but im putting a new head and cams on a 96 altima for my mom. My question is since there is no cam bearings do I need to use a cam break in lube or just oil the journals real good? Also I,d like a second opinion on torque specs for the caps I was told 12, cam sprockets 105 and 68 on head bolts. Does this sound right? One more thing, does the 120$ head gasket kit come with all required gaskets to swap everything from one head to another? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
i just use lucas oil on my cams. i don't have my haynes manual right here but that sounds right. you'll also have to remove the idler sprocket i believe. for gaskets, you'll need a head gasket of course, but you'll also need an intake manifold gasket, exhaust manifold gaskets(you can make your own from the sheets too), and some silicone for the upper timing cover gasket and i'd replace the valve cover gasket too.

1 more thing while you're in there, there are 2 chain guides for the upper timing chain. both of these can be removed to eliminate the chatter. although if it's a mom driving the car, then you may wanna leave 1 on there that way she can hear when she's losing oil pressure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I got the head off in four hours with no problems, I will be iinstalling the new head tomorrow. We will see how it goes. So I dont need to reinstall the guides on the cam chain?

·
Rockin the Kasbah
4,106 Posts
Remove the lower one on that right side...also keep the bolts out as well...

as for the top guide: it's a personal choice > I removed mine

The tensioners however are your discresion alone: mine chain was tight, so i left what is good go

As always, I'd probably run the car at a decent but low rpm for the first 15-25 minutes just like any normal cam (unless of course somethign goes horribly wrong)

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
^good point. i'd also disconnect the distributor and turn the car over several times to let the oil pump build back up the oil pressure. but if you knew how to remove the head, i'm sure you probably knew that too.

·
Import Tech.
4,670 Posts
New cams will ALWAYS need breakin lube on the cam lobes, if they are not new , just regular oil is fine ....

·
Rockin the Kasbah
4,106 Posts
lucas or cam lube is highly advised...

also great point in 'priming' the system before hand to ensure better lubrication!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well fellas, finished up today, shes running like a clock, brought #1 up top dead center(second mark) set intake cam to 9 oclock, exhaust to 12 o clock, turned the crank to 20 degrees btdc pointed the rotor to number one on the cap primed her up and she fired as soon as I hooked the ignition up. I coulden't have done it with out the internet. Thanks for all the tips. The hardest part was hooking up a hose that was under the intake that plugs into a square tubed rail(dont know what the hell it is) other than that went better than I thought but I will definitly stick to chevys! Thanks again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts