The Nissan Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, sorry if I'm intruding but I figured since it is a general forum they I could post here. 2007 Nissan Altima 2.5s 6speed Sorry if I ramble on.

So about 2 months ago I got some D2 coilovers for my Altima with the intention of slamming an daily driving it. I wanted to set the coilovers to my preference, I set it in the softer range an put a decent drop. After the drop I realized that it was squealing everywhere when turning and when hitting big cracks on the road, manholes, cracks that had been filled in with that black rubber stuff ??, and even painted lines on the highway made the cars rear end jerk/skip/sway towards the side. That definitely made it sketchy so I took it in for an alignment. After the alignment it stopped squealing on turns and the sway went away for the most part, but when I go over manholes it still does this and some painted lines as well. In the dry the car is fine but today it rained! I drove to a local store and I felt the car hydroplane only on the rear tho, a bit around 30mph and higher especially on roads with lots of cracks. And it would sway on the painted lines when switching lanes. My rear tires are pretty balled so I threw the fronts to the back and the stockies on the front, and decided to test it out on the highway. On the the city roads the rear hydroplaning was almost gone except when I went over 45mph Trying to go on the highway was super sketchy, I could not go over 60mph without it hydroplaning. The car does not have drastic camber but its to nerveracking.

I want to know what your thoughts are on this?
Does it happen to any of you guys who drive a slammed and cambered cars especially in the rain?
Would raising the rear minimize this?
Or did the shop just do a crappy alignment?

I can give more info just ask, any thoughts are apreciated. I will add pictures to show the car.

Also I am thinking of throwing on the stocks on the rear to see if I get the same feel. I think if I raise the rear more it should lessen the camber effect because I did not intentionally camber it, its all natural. The shop did not adjust the camber on it because it tucks the rear wheels and would hit the fenders. Also the rear suspension is on almost the softest setting. the sidewall on the wheels is small and I think that this could be an effect

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,013 Posts
Hey guys, sorry if I'm intruding but I figured since it is a general forum they I could post here. 2007 Nissan Altima 2.5s 6speed Sorry if I ramble on.

So about 2 months ago I got some D2 coilovers for my Altima with the intention of slamming an daily driving it. I wanted to set the coilovers to my preference, I set it in the softer range an put a decent drop. After the drop I realized that it was squealing everywhere when turning and when hitting big cracks on the road, manholes, cracks that had been filled in with that black rubber stuff ??, and even painted lines on the highway made the cars rear end jerk/skip/sway towards the side. That definitely made it sketchy so I took it in for an alignment. After the alignment it stopped squealing on turns and the sway went away for the most part, but when I go over manholes it still does this and some painted lines as well. In the dry the car is fine but today it rained! I drove to a local store and I felt the car hydroplane only on the rear tho, a bit around 30mph and higher especially on roads with lots of cracks. And it would sway on the painted lines when switching lanes. My rear tires are pretty balled so I threw the fronts to the back and the stockies on the front, and decided to test it out on the highway. On the the city roads the rear hydroplaning was almost gone except when I went over 45mph Trying to go on the highway was super sketchy, I could not go over 60mph without it hydroplaning. The car does not have drastic camber but its to nerveracking.

I want to know what your thoughts are on this?
Does it happen to any of you guys who drive a slammed and cambered cars especially in the rain?
Would raising the rear minimize this?
Or did the shop just do a crappy alignment?

I can give more info just ask, any thoughts are apreciated. I will add pictures to show the car.

Also I am thinking of throwing on the stocks on the rear to see if I get the same feel. I think if I raise the rear more it should lessen the camber effect because I did not intentionally camber it, its all natural. The shop did not adjust the camber on it because it tucks the rear wheels and would hit the fenders. Also the rear suspension is on almost the softest setting. the sidewall on the wheels is small and I think that this could be an effect
None of those pictures help us see how much camber you're running. Camber can effect traction if it's too extreme. More likely, your tires need to be replaced. That's the simplest solution.

The movement you're feeling on the road when the car goes over bumps and cracks is likely because the suspension is so much lower than the way it was designed that the new steering geometry is causing you to experiencing tram-lining and bump steer. Read up on both and decide what suspension parts you can afford to replace with appropriate "lowered" aftermarket versions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, as far as how much camber I have I don't really know. The shop that I took it too did not inform me or give me a copy of the alignment sheet just a receipt.
I think your right on replacing the tires. I just installed the stocks in the rear as well and this bump steer is gone. When replacing the wheels I took the time to lift the suspension a tad in the rear to accommodate the smaller wheel height and also set the dampening to the softest setting to give the suspension a tad more travel. I have yet to test it on rain while on the highway but it should be better now. I am going to wait out on buying new tires since the stock wheels have brand new ones.

You also mentioned replacing parts of the suspension with lower versions of them. I will get some camber arms since the stock camber arm, if im not mistaken, is where the spring sits. The d2 coils are full coils in the rear just like the fronts so I have no need for that spring/camber arm and replaceit with a more stable one. I will replace it and take it in for another alignment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts