The Nissan Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first got my car I had an issue where it would crank but not start. I eventually found out I could tap on the cps and it would run fine. Besides some misc misfire and random infrequent stalls. I purchased a new cps

http://m.autozone.com/engine-manage...rs-a-2-5l-sfi-dohc/540589_718109_0/?location=

I noticed the new one has a cylindrical sensor and the T shape for the connection OPPOSITE the hole for the bolt as shown above in link. The one that was in there (oem I'm assuming) has a rectangular sensor, and the T and bolt hole on the same side. It installed ok but now the sensor is installed upside down compared to before.

Also, while installing the new one, I accidentally unplugged the connector but the engine didn't flinch and didon't even throw a CEL. I'd like to know if that's normal.

Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't know if your question was ever answered but I'll give you some info based on what happened to me. I also had to replace my crankshaft position sensor. My issue was more of a intermittent thing though. I'd be driving down the road then the car would shudder and momentarily die, then fire back up and I'd continue on my way. This whole process started and ended before I could even realize it happened. Basically over a second. It wasn't until the sensor actually failed that I got a check engine light and I couldn't even start the car. The sensor I got was from Autozone and looked just like the one that came out. It's all black and kind of rectangle with rounded edges. If I recall it was about $25. Also the camshaft position sensor is the same sensor so you may just want to buy a second one and have it laying around in case that one fails. These are basically just magnets that tell the computer when the cam/crank had made a revolution. If the crank sensor fail it goes into a safe mode and relies on the cam sensor. So unless you actually drove the car with the sensor unplugged you probably would not notice anything it even get a light.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I looked around and unless I dont know the model of my car, all cam sensors I could find are cylindrical not rectangular. Regardless, I eventually interpreted the factory service manual to say what you did, that the cam sensor is only used if the crank fails.

A bit after posting that, I had a serious misfire at speed and a flashing CEL. Got codes pulled and cleared for a Missfire on cyl 2. I moved the cyl coil pack to cyl 3 and am waiting for another CEL to see if thats the issue. Still not sure what would cause the crank no start or why taping on the cam sensor fixed it if its not used.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think this is the one that I got. It looks like online they have 3 options, two are the same style and the other is round. I guess it doesn't really matter much as long as magnet works and senses the position.

http://www.autozone.com/engine-mana...osition-sensor/364527_652113_0/?checkfit=true

As far as the whole tapping issue I'm not sure. Maybe your crankshaft sensor has failed and therefore it's relying on the camshaft? Computers are weird and leave us all to ask "What the F?". I'm glad you got the problem fixed.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
I think this is the one that I got. It looks like online they have 3 options, two are the same style and the other is round. I guess it doesn't really matter much as long as magnet works and senses the position.

http://www.autozone.com/engine-mana...osition-sensor/364527_652113_0/?checkfit=true

As far as the whole tapping issue I'm not sure. Maybe your crankshaft sensor has failed and therefore it's relying on the camshaft? Computers are weird and leave us all to ask "What the F?". I'm glad you got the problem fixed.
For the record that is the sensor design you don't want. Look for cylindrical metal sensor instead.

·
Registered
39 Posts
For the record that is the sensor design you don't want. Look for cylindrical metal sensor instead.

Why is that the design "I don't want"? I've been running it for about 3 years now with no problems. Second, it was exactly like the one I took out that I assume was factory. Unless you can back up your statement with facts or links to actual data that shows that is a poorly designed sensor or a sensor "I don't want" you have just put yourself into a he said she said type of situation.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Why is that the design "I don't want"? I've been running it for about 3 years now with no problems. Second, it was exactly like the one I took out that I assume was factory. Unless you can back up your statement with facts or links to actual data that shows that is a poorly designed sensor or a sensor "I don't want" you have just put yourself into a he said she said type of situation.
You're calling me out?

| Safercar | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

or if you don't like reading

Skip to about 4:45min : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnxH2fm6E34 to see the original and redesigned OEM parts.

We good?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts