The Nissan Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting the code back from the ECM that the camshaft position sensor is out. I know its where the distributor is. I just got my distributor replaced today and picked it up about 6 hours ago. I read on other threads that i can buy it from nissan sperately instead of getting the whole distributor set. I heard someoen breaking the seal on the distributor while trying to do it...does this mean that i have to get a new distributor assembly to change the camshaft position sensor? In my chiltoms it says remove the distributor. any info will be helpful.

·
The Don.
6,151 Posts
The sensor itself is something called an optoisolator cartridge. They are very rugged and rarely fails. Make sure it is not something easy like dirty signal plates or a dirty sensor. A whiff of carb cleaner can help solve that.

I've never heard the sensor itself sold independent of the distributor. But I imagine there has to be a replacement out with physical and electrical characteristics that match. If you locate a direct replacement or cross referenced one let us all know for future reference.

Good luck.

·
RIP 6/24/07
1,611 Posts
^ Actually the Camshaft sensor often fails in altimas, But it is usually caused by the inner seal in the distributor going out and allowing oil in to the sensor and at that point once it start acting up no amount of cleaning is going to help believe me I tried when the one went out in my 95. And no the camshaft position sensor is not availble seperatly must get the whole distributor.

·
The Don.
6,151 Posts
^^ I was talking about the sensor itself failing not something else causing it to malfunction. In other words, would replacing the sensor itself fix the problem?

Here is an o-ring sourcing company, http://www.oringswest.com, if anyone is considering selling these puppies on eBay. I'd imagine you can send them your o-ring and they will be more than happy to sell you the replacement part especially if you consider buying a good amount.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts