The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen alot of posts about the lack of camshafts available for Altimas. Well fact of the matter is there are some very good cams available. Nismo makes a set of cams for the KA24DE, though originally designed for the 240SX, they will work just fine in an Altima. The only herdle and its a small one is the computer needs reprogramming to optimize the cams, or in some cases for the car to run, depending on the cam profile. There are other manufatures that make cams designed for the 240SX that will work in the Altima. Guys lets not forget its the same motor. We all own a car that is not on the top of most performance shops lists. We need to use our head an a little inginuity.

Sink :cool:

·
$ make my Engine go Round
1,157 Posts
<pats Sinkhole on back for letting everyone in on something we all already know>

I'm just messing with ya bro, personally I think the parts supply for altimas is pretty decent.

btw I have never seen the nismo ones you got the stats and a link?

Just would like to know if they are a mild or harsh cam.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Specs on Shafts

Ive last years NISMO Catalog around here somewere. It listed all the specs. If I remember right the had two or three different grinds. I'll try to dig it up.
( And obviously not everyone knows or they wouldn't be cryin about not being able to get cams.)

Sink

·
Banned
2,829 Posts
cams ...heres a couple of list :

Gude cams ---
JWT cams---
PDM cams--

and i dont think the 240sx Cams will excatly fit with, i belive the altima have a longer durations , cant really confirm it , never tried using 240sx cams .

·
Banned
2,829 Posts
RyanDB2 said:
i think they will fit. The 240 guys put stock altima cams in their setups.
yes and 240sx supposely make about 13hp with the altimas cams ...due to the fact the altimas cams have differnt lift and longer duration ... i havent heard of any 240sx cams in an altima yet

·
Die Trying
8,357 Posts
true, the 240sx guys do use an oem cam for the altima, but it's only one as far as i know. can't remember which one though.

from what sleeper says, the GUDE regrinds are shitty!!!!
i don't think anyone has the PDM ones, and not sure if they're regrinds or what. As far as i know

JWT is the only billet core drop ins available for the Altima/240sx. i have them and they feel great! unfortunately, my track times don't agree, but then again, the weather conditions have changed for the worse.

thanks for the heads up, new info is better than no info

·
525 Posts
I have the PDM Racing cams, they are regrinds. The cam grind is good, but regrinds + shitty mechanics don't go together(picture car at mechanics for 2 months). The guy who sells these cams, Don Nimi, is a nice guy to deal with, but, you definitely want an experienced mechanic to do the install, someone who knows about shims, valve lash adjustment.

But, the cam profiles are great, they change the way the way the engine behaves, the car just starts pulling from about 4400rpm on up, very different than stock. Definitely my best mod to date, not just because it adds power, but because it changes the way you drive this car (with this engine).

Price-wise, $450 for regrind & custom shims, $200+ for install.
JWTs weren't available when I got these, or I would have chosen the JWTs, less hassle. $600+ for cams, worth every penny, IMO.

·
Banned
2,829 Posts
atakm said:
I have the PDM Racing cams, they are regrinds. The cam grind is good, but regrinds + shitty mechanics don't go together(picture car at mechanics for 2 months). The guy who sells these cams, Don Nimi, is a nice guy to deal with, but, you definitely want an experienced mechanic to do the install, someone who knows about shims, valve lash adjustment.

But, the cam profiles are great, they change the way the way the engine behaves, the car just starts pulling from about 4400rpm on up, very different than stock. Definitely my best mod to date, not just because it adds power, but because it changes the way you drive this car (with this engine).

Price-wise, $450 for regrind & custom shims, $200+ for install.
JWTs weren't available when I got these, or I would have chosen the JWTs, less hassle. $600+ for cams, worth every penny, IMO.
what year is your altima ? ive talked to Don before ...and i just dont feel like getting new shims but i may have to go Regrind like Shawn did , seems like a big hassle to shim them .....i'd never thought anyone would find these cams on the web ...do you a 5spd or auto ? and what are your mods list with the cams ? and how long did they take for the cams to be sent to you ? did you send them a core ? .thanks for any info ..

·
Resistance is futile
3,202 Posts
Sinkhole said:
I've seen alot of posts about the lack of camshafts available for Altimas. Well fact of the matter is there are some very good cams available. Nismo makes a set of cams for the KA24DE, though originally designed for the 240SX, they will work just fine in an Altima.

Sink :cool:

BZZZ - wrong answer.
The exhaust cam of the Altima has a gear at the "back" end that drives the distributor. The 240 cam does not, because that isn't where the distributor on a 240 is located. They are otherwise identical, and could be interchanged. If you put the Alty cam in the 240, you merely have a gear spinning there that isn't used. If you put the 240 cam in the ALty, though, you have no way to drive the distributor.

·
525 Posts
GOKU said:

what year is your altima ? ive talked to Don before ...and i just dont feel like getting new shims but i may have to go Regrind like Shawn did , seems like a big hassle to shim them .....i'd never thought anyone would find these cams on the web ...do you a 5spd or auto ? and what are your mods list with the cams ? and how long did they take for the cams to be sent to you ? did you send them a core ? .thanks for any info ..
1997(.5) altima, auto.

you take measurements of your shims, then send the specs along with the cams to him. He sends them out to colt cams for the regrind(to his specs), he provides you with the properly sized shims. Can't quite specify shipping times because it was around the 9/11 incident, delays everywhere.

If I were you I'd wait to hear results from Shawn on his regrinds. Keep your options open. I believe Crower can also regrind cams for you. It all depends on the specs you want.

my mods?, basic bolt-ons for this daily driver: intake, exhaust, pulley, cams, header.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
No my friend you are incorrect. The distributor is driven by the exhaust cam, but not by a gear. there is are two notchs in the end of the cam that the distributor mates with and both Altima and 240SX exhaust cams have these notches.

Sink

1 - 20 of 25 Posts