The Nissan Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Nissan Altima. Basic radio with CD player. I'd like to buy an OEM radio with the XM and swap out the other one.

Is there anything additional that needs to go in the car? Is the antenna for XM already built in? Is the wiring harness the same?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Start with the AV.pdf section of the FSM for your year/model. See my .sig below for links. It will tell you what forms the various versions of audio shipped from the factory and where those components are located.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
I found the harnesses online in Nissan's Estore, I'll post them when I get home. They're pricey, so it might be worth it to just go aftermarket, but I'll post asap ?

·
6,365 Posts
The 07-12's had a sharkfin antenna on the roof when equipped with XM, and if I recall, it was further complicated by the fact that for non-Nav units, the XM radio module was mounted under the trunk deck, but was integrated into the NAV unit...meaning your GPS antenna cable goes to the completely wrong place when you do a swap.

Don't know what the Gen5's have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not looking to add the GPS Nav unit... just the OEM CD player with the XM capability. I don't want to add a seperate XM head unit, and don't like aftermarket stuff.

So I'm trying to figure out if the wiring harness is the same, and what additional stuff is needed for the XM radio. OR, if Nissan just put all that stuff in at the factory and it's just sitting in the console somewhere for me to hook up to. [A man can dream]

·
6,365 Posts
Okay, here is how I would do it:

Go to Tasca's site:

Antenna:
ANTENNA & RADIO for 2013 Nissan Altima

Do you have this part installed on the roof of your vehicle?

Since I don't have your car, I found this part which is the non-BOSE combined radio/xm/cd/bt/nav unit:

DISPLAY UNIT for 2013 Nissan Altima|25915-3TA1C

then I Google the part number and get

and

I think those pics are from this listing

On the back left hand side are 3 connectors, blue, pink and grey. Blue is the GPS antenna module, pink is the Sat ant from the roof, and grey is the standard NIssan AM/FM glass antenna connector. On the right you have a blue connector (USB) and two white ones (bottom looks like the standard power/ground/control sigs one), upper one will likely be the speakers, rev cam etc etc.

Now, figure out what you have. Take out your existing radio and see which connectors it uses and what if any spares are lurking back there. You will now have a prelim idea of what you are up against. My guess is you will need to install and wire the roof sat ant, everything else should be doable...so long as you aren't mixing BOSE and non-BOSE.

Find out the PN for your existing radio and the one you want (just like I did in post #1 of my own upgrade thread below) and we go from there.

·
6,365 Posts
If you have this one, you may have some work to do depending on what you want to go to. The base unit looks a lot like a Panasonic/Matsushita unit and the upgraded NAV unit is from BOSCH.

·
6,365 Posts
So, FSM, AV section tells me if you have the Base audio, with connectors described in AV.pdf page AV-17, you will have a similar re-connectoring exercise to mate that up with the unit you linked about on page AV-68, that I went through in my Bose update in my .sig. You will also have to install the XM/Sat antenna and feeder harness-which I would try to source used from a wrecker.

The new unit you are looking at will also take a reverse camera feed and provide a USB input for phones or ipods. Again, I dealt with this in my BOSE upgrade thread, including places to source connectors and adapters.

·
6,365 Posts
No. See my BOSE upgrade thread for a hint of what you're looking at...never mind running the sat antenna.

·
Registered
8 Posts
infotainment.com (no affiliation) are about to begin selling the 2018 Altima OEM Carplay / Android Auto navigation radios as a plug and play upgrade for what i believe are the '13-18 Altimas. I got one for my '14 Altima that came with the base radio and it worked perfectly while they were still prototyping their kit. It took less than 10 mins to install with one of their customer support reps.

I can tell you right now that wiring the radio incorrectly (in my case..) will burn out your rear camera. I had to replace the car battery too. I ended up selling them the radio i got from ebay and buying their kit. I initially spoke to their sales team in regards to buying their OEM satellite radio and navigation upgrade that come with the fancy trim levels, but I think they made a mistake in telling me that the 18 Altima navi was ready and so I bought one (its not on the website yet). Anyways, they have the oem upgrade kits for both non-carplay units and carplay units(not sure if they are advertising them now). They sell other OEM navigation units, but I was more interested in the Altima headunit and now I am thinking about doing my 16 Titan. They have the upgrade for that too so excited ?

Anyways I'm new and only wanted to share my experience with you guys. When I do the upgrade on my Titan I can post photos, but Infotainment has videos on their site. When I called for the Altima they didn't have an install video but I swear as soon as I asked they put one up on their youtube and their website.

·
Registered
14 Posts
infotainment.com (no affiliation) are about to begin selling the 2018 Altima OEM Carplay / Android Auto navigation radios as a plug and play upgrade for what i believe are the '13-18 Altimas. I got one for my '14 Altima that came with the base radio and it worked perfectly while they were still prototyping their kit. It took less than 10 mins to install with one of their customer support reps.

I can tell you right now that wiring the radio incorrectly (in my case..) will burn out your rear camera. I had to replace the car battery too. I ended up selling them the radio i got from ebay and buying their kit. I initially spoke to their sales team in regards to buying their OEM satellite radio and navigation upgrade that come with the fancy trim levels, but I think they made a mistake in telling me that the 18 Altima navi was ready and so I bought one (its not on the website yet). Anyways, they have the oem upgrade kits for both non-carplay units and carplay units(not sure if they are advertising them now). They sell other OEM navigation units, but I was more interested in the Altima headunit and now I am thinking about doing my 16 Titan. They have the upgrade for that too so excited ?

Anyways I'm new and only wanted to share my experience with you guys. When I do the upgrade on my Titan I can post photos, but Infotainment has videos on their site. When I called for the Altima they didn't have an install video but I swear as soon as I asked they put one up on their youtube and their website.
Interesting. How much did it cost ya?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I spent a little less than $1100.

I spent the money because they said "plug and play" and I am too busy on my days off to pull out my dash looking for CAN.
everything worked the first time; camera, steering wheel controls, bluetooth and mic, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts