The Nissan Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you know I've deleted a few things under the hood like the egr, the vias, the electric motor mounts, and the rear 02 sensors [not enough length in the wiring to reach the new 02 bung in the header setup].

Anyway, I'm getting the "cam timing over advancing bank 2 for which I read the 02 sensor can cause this code [either the rear 02, or the 02 sensors on the headers].

In any event I don't like having the ecu decide when/where its going to go into limp mode.

Even if there is something with the cam VVT the engine will still run, and the car could be driven for many, many miles until this could be repaired.

I think I read on this forum while trying to find the answer to said question, that you can just delete the problem code using Uprev tuner.

Can anyone shed any light on this? thanks.

·
cpt05alt
5 Posts
I'm not sure, but in this thread there was alot talk about uprev on the first pave. Engine Performance (2002-2006)*> N/A motor build pictures
It's not just pictures like the title will lead you to believe. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just talked with a tuner, and he said you can delete the codes that will cause limp mode with Uprev tuner.

For example my ecu is throwing a 0021 code which is, "cam over advancing bank 2".

My car is in limp mode [I don't know if this code is causing the limp mode, but the only other codes are the disconnected rear 02 sensors, and disconnected egr valve].

However it will still start, and run fine, but with it in limp mode I only have 5th gear, and approx 2.5k rpms. Which means that even though I could drive the car indefinitely with this code, I can't because its in limp mode.

Sure, I will get around to changing out the vvt valve, but right now I need to put my money elsewhere. Like I said, I don't like have the computer make that decision for me. There should be an option on these cars to disable it.

·
Start The Show - Jet
1,013 Posts
M... my ignorance will be evident, but...

What could happen if you remove limp mode for something like this? I have to think the Nissan engineers purposely put the protection there for a reason... Any chance of bent valves?

On another topic, though... you have cams, ported IM, headers, EGR delete, 3" exhaust, and a possibility of running a 4" intake. You don't just need UpRev, Bud. You NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED UpRev!!! I'd bet at least another 20-25 (maybe even 30 at some points of the curve) ponies are waiting for you on the other side of a tune.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
M... my ignorance will be evident, but...

What could happen if you remove limp mode for something like this? I have to think the Nissan engineers purposely put the protection there for a reason... Any chance of bent valves?

On another topic, though... you have cams, ported IM, headers, EGR delete, 3" exhaust, and a possibility of running a 4" intake. You don't just need UpRev, Bud. You NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED UpRev!!! I'd bet at least another 20-25 (maybe even 30 at some points of the curve) ponies are waiting for you on the other side of a tune.
Yes I know I need the Uprev, but the limp mode is driving me nuts at the moment.

Your question is very valid.

In fact I hesitated even making the thread as I knew it would sound kinda amiss to most who read it.

I would say that the engineers put that protection for what could be several different reasons.

One is that it forces you to take the car to the dealership to be repaired.

Since the cam is over advancing already, then the valves would already be bent if that were the issue. What is going on with the one cam being over advancing is that the fuel/air mixture is going to be different on the cylinder head in that bank vs the other head.

That means that the engine is going to run rough as there is an imbalance from the right side of the engine to the other.

Though this isn't ideal for running the engine with that imbalance, its by no means a reason you CAN'T drive the car.

The biggest problem I can see is if someone were to be revving the engine really high, which I wouldn't do with that condition. However, some people would/might which could be a reason the engineers decided for limp mode in this case.

Sorta like the VATS [anti theft]. There have been many, many cases where the owner of the car is locked out of using the vehicle.

People like you, and I who know how to fab things can easily make a security system that WE can control [ie for example, just pull the fuel pump fuse when you have to leave your can in a high crime area] I guarantee any thief won't have time to trouble shoot the fuse box if he is trying to steal the car.

However most people don't know to do these things, and feel safer with the factory security setup. [for which most professional thieves already know how to bypass].

1 - 5 of 5 Posts