The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
-L-
Joined
·
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you put a turbo in a stock alty engine for a 95 or would you have to do more work on it? And if you ahve to do more work like tweak and tune stuff what would you have to do.
 

·
BoOsTiN.....
Joined
·
1,397 Posts
At wut point would it not be ok to run the f-max with stock internals and stock auto tranny??? (psi or hp limit?)

i think i remember someone sayin 8 psi...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
I thought our cars engine could hold up to 16 psi on stock internals, granted you dont want to run it there all the time, but I thought the was the limit.. cthunder, whats the good word on this?
 

·
Import Tech.
Joined
·
4,670 Posts
slopestyle said:
I thought our cars engine could hold up to 16 psi on stock internals, granted you dont want to run it there all the time, but I thought the was the limit.. cthunder, whats the good word on this?
Um ..No ...10 Lbs MAX ... I wouldnt run one daily over 8 , mabie an occasional 10 lbs on stock internals, but if it is an Auto. that hasnt been moded ...Then I wouldnt push over 7 ....
 

·
Incognito
Joined
·
6,134 Posts
I pushed 10psi on a stock auto for 2 years... wouldnt go over 10 psi period. I've heard of some 240's that run 12psi, but they have different slugs in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
SHAWN said:
Um ..No ...10 Lbs MAX ... I wouldnt run one daily over 8 , mabie an occasional 10 lbs on stock internals, but if it is an Auto. that hasnt been moded ...Then I wouldnt push over 7 ....
the only info I was going off of was what this guy told me when I was an intern in the engineering dept. at caterpillar in my home town, so that is the only thing I was referencing my answer to.. he lived in japan for 2 years and drove a silvia over there that he turboed, said he ran 14.4 or so psi daily, and he did a lot of other things to his car as well and he knew quite a bit about nissans so I took his info as something credible.. but I will trust what you and cthunder say.. I dont know too much about it.. just posting what someone told me, who I consider a reliable source, thanks for clearing that up though, thats good info to know, I am not by any means comparing a silvia to an altima though, just saying he knew quite a bit.. also.. I didnt mean run 16 psi as a daily driver, I meant max at any point in time.. thats all..
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
cthunder said:
I pushed 10psi on a stock auto for 2 years... wouldnt go over 10 psi period. I've heard of some 240's that run 12psi, but they have different slugs in.
with all due respect the piston composition is very similar.

and with all due respect the piston composition isnt the first thing to fail. the rod bearings / rods are as they are what takes the stresses of the piston hitting the sidewall with the most awkward force distribution.

because these are so similar, and so many 240 guys run 1 bar or within a few psi less than it... I should be safe if the a/f ratio is on and the ignition timing is tuned.
 

·
donor cycle
Joined
·
14,572 Posts
slopestyle said:
the only info I was going off of was what this guy told me when I was an intern in the engineering dept. at caterpillar in my home town, so that is the only thing I was referencing my answer to.. he lived in japan for 2 years and drove a silvia over there that he turboed, said he ran 14.4 or so psi daily, and he did a lot of other things to his car as well and he knew quite a bit about nissans so I took his info as something credible.. but I will trust what you and cthunder say.. I dont know too much about it.. just posting what someone told me, who I consider a reliable source, thanks for clearing that up though, thats good info to know, I am not by any means comparing a silvia to an altima though, just saying he knew quite a bit.. also.. I didnt mean run 16 psi as a daily driver, I meant max at any point in time.. thats all..
he had a completely different engine.
 

·
Incognito
Joined
·
6,134 Posts
JHU Sam said:
with all due respect the piston composition is very similar.

and with all due respect the piston composition isnt the first thing to fail. the rod bearings / rods are as they are what takes the stresses of the piston hitting the sidewall with the most awkward force distribution.

because these are so similar, and so many 240 guys run 1 bar or within a few psi less than it... I should be safe if the a/f ratio is on and the ignition timing is tuned.
we physically have different pistons and wrist pins OEM, our pistons are much lighter than that of the 240's. I have heard of several KA-T 240's shooting pistons through the head at 12 psi (but most of these were the N-Sport turbo kit so no JWT ecu was there). I have had the stock engine up to 15 psi for 30 seconds, and it felt as if it was going to bust (not to mention the knock sensor went nuts). Im not saying that your information isnt credible, you are one of the best people to talk to on all things turbo. But I have first hand experience.
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
piston through the head = rod failure or maybe wrist pin failure, not piston failure.

i really doubt that nissan made that much of a difference between the piston material! how much lighter can altima pistons be? we're talking a few grams here... i dont think that suffices a need for less boost since the main source of failure in a boosted motor is the rods, not the pistons! Unless we're talking about ring land cracking or piston melting, which you did not mention as problems! and both of those can usually be prevented with running a slightly rich to cool down combust temps
 

·
Incognito
Joined
·
6,134 Posts
I do know for a fact that the stock rods cannot take over 15 psi. it may in deed be a wrist pin failure, I am just going on the info from talking to techs from F-Max, Nismo, and JWT. Along with that, I talked to a guy in CT that's running a stage 3 kit on a 240 (on his third engine), he busted his first 2 engines both at close to 12 psi. all things withstanding, I trust the techs at Nismo to give me the correct information than the other two.
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
yea jwt blows. just aim for 10-12psi. im going to say that the motor could take 16-18psi for 6months to a year if it was on standalone, but with that not being an option, keep it moderate.

its amazing... i see b18bs blow at 9psi after 2 months. then i see b18bs at 20psi after 2 years. All in the tuning my friends :)
 

·
Incognito
Joined
·
6,134 Posts
at this point, if I can gain 50 more HP, and keep JWT off my nuts for the rest of my upgrades, sign me up.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top