The Nissan Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to change my thermostat on my 02 maxima gle. Of course its only 3 bolts with 2 hoses attached to it so it should take what maybe 20 minutes to change? OF COURSE NOT! Anyways I have attached pictures and I cannot get the top left bolt off the old thermostat because of the tight space it is in. There is a structure in the way, I am not sure what it is that I why I am posting here. I can get a ratchet to the bolt however the ratchet is hitting other parts not letting me be able to turn it. So I am trying to get an extension so I can actually use the ratchet. Anyways can anyone tell me what the structure is with the arrow pointing to it and If it is possible to unbolt that to get it out of the way so I can get an extension to get that bolt off?
Attached Thumbnails
Can not get to bolt to change thermostat-20160421_171440.jpg Can not get to bolt to change thermostat-20160421_170500.jpg

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
I'm going to guess its a very similar layout to an Altima VQ...and if so, my question is, have you tried going in through the passenger wheel well...like you would do to change the belt? Might be easier to ratchet from underneath.

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
You need a ratcheting box wrench and a regular box wrench that you will use to LOCK onto one another to break it loose. DO NOT try to remove that adjustment nut. It is the tensioner adjustment. No need to remove it. Yes doug, same exact engine setup and layout as the 3.5 Altima. By using the above mentioned technique you will be able to exact a great deal of leverage on this nut and break it loose easily. Hope this helps. (This is how I did this)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Theres just no way of getting a wrench in there, i can get a socket in there its just i cant turn the ratchet cause of everything in the way. I might have to just bite the bullet and take it to an auto shop so they can do it, been messing with it over 2 hours for 1 bolt. Its not that I cant break the bolt loose, I just cant turn anything in that tight space in order to get it loose.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ending up loosening the tensioner all the way down (didnt know you could do that) and was able to get to the bolt, then raised the tensioner back up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts