The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2015 Sentra in September. This is the first car I have ever owned or seen that does not allow you to raise the windshield wipers...the hood prevents this. In fact, if you try it or take it into a shop where the unknowing worker attempts to quickly raise it, it will damage the hood. Is this a design flaw that somehow no one noticed at Nissan? It just doesn't make any sense being that it is so simple.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I thought that was odd too but it seems to be like that on purpose. The first time I pulled mine up to wash it I scraped the paint.

roog

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can't you just turn the wipers on with the engine running then kill the engine? I've often done that on most of my cars because even with the wipers clearing the hood, having the wipers out at the top of the curve usually gives it a better angle to replace or clean them.

I haven't had to do that with the Sentra cause it's only a few weeks old, but will it also not do that?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Can't you just turn the wipers on with the engine running then kill the engine? I've often done that on most of my cars because even with the wipers clearing the hood, having the wipers out at the top of the curve usually gives it a better angle to replace or clean them.

I haven't had to do that with the Sentra cause it's only a few weeks old, but will it also not do that?
Yes, that's what I do now, but that first time not knowing is enough to damage the paint. Not to mention someone else who works on it and they don't know.

First car I've ever had that the arms don't clear the hood.

Plus it's irritating when you forget and get out only to have to get back in to do it. :)

roog

·
Registered
43 Posts
With the ignition on....... Turn off ignition then quickly tap up the wiper handle two times.. It might be three. Then the wipers will park in service mode. Also you can open the hood to get to them but don't shut the hood with them up!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I bought my 2015 Sentra in September. This is the first car I have ever owned or seen that does not allow you to raise the windshield wipers...the hood prevents this. In fact, if you try it or take it into a shop where the unknowing worker attempts to quickly raise it, it will damage the hood. Is this a design flaw that somehow no one noticed at Nissan? It just doesn't make any sense being that it is so simple.
Congratulations on buying your new car in September. I would have thought that it being December that you might have gotten curious about that big pack of manuals bundled together in your glove box, but your question answers my question. Yes, someone at Nissan noticed it, they even came up with a catchy name for it, "Service Position." No, it is not a design flaw.

If you would have taken the time to open the Sentra Owner's Manual that Nissan included in that packet, you could have turned to page 8-20 Maintenance and do-it-yourself, and learned how to do this without scratching your hood.

To replace the windshield wiper blades, follow the procedure below:

1. When ignition switch is ON or within 60 seconds after placing the ignition switch from the ON to OFF position, place the windshield wiper and washer lever into the OFF position.

2. Rapidly lift the windshield wiper and washer lever upwards twice within 0.5 seconds. This action will cause the wipers to automatically take the service position.

3. Once the wipers are in the service position, push the release tab

4. Move the wiper blade down and remove.

5. Insert the new wiper blade onto the wiper arm until it clicks into place.

6. Rotate the wiper blade so the dimple is in the groove.

7. Finally, lift the windshield wiper and washer lever to the mist position once and release. This action will cause the wipers to resume the set position.

I have to agree with you, "It just doesn't make any sense being that it is so simple" to read the Owners Manual to learn the features of your car.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Be careful not to touch the wiper switch while the wipers are on the service position and LIFTED OFF THE WINDSHIELD. As you may accidentally tap it, and the wiper will go to its original position and may hit the edge of the hood (just as you won't be able to lift it when it is not on the service position). This is a f^&king design flaw by Nissan and I can imagine someone making this mistake.

And it's a bit different for the 2013 model on step 2:

1. Ensure that the ignition switch is in the OFF
position.
2. Pull the windshield wiper and washer lever
for 5 seconds. This action will cause the
wipers to take the service position automatically.
3. Lift the wiper arm away from the windshield.
4. Push the release tab.
5. Move the wiper blade down5 and remove.
6. Insert the new wiper blade onto the wiper
arm until it clicks into place.
7. Rotate the wiper blade so the dimple is in the
groove.
8. Finally, pull the windshield wiper and washer
lever for 5 seconds. This action will cause
the wipers to resume the set position.

·
Registered
43 Posts
the wipers and washer nozzles are both flawed.. the spray is blocked by the wipers and the driver blade is to long so the spring load on the arm is across to much area resulting in poor wiping performance Nissan needs to recall the entire wiper and spray nozzle system

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Congratulations on buying your new car in September. I would have thought that it being December that you might have gotten curious about that big pack of manuals bundled together in your glove box, but your question answers my question. Yes, someone at Nissan noticed it, they even came up with a catchy name for it, "Service Position." No, it is not a design flaw.

If you would have taken the time to open the Sentra Owner's Manual that Nissan included in that packet, you could have turned to page 8-20 Maintenance and do-it-yourself, and learned how to do this without scratching your hood.

1. When ignition switch is ON or within 60 seconds after placing the ignition switch from the ON to OFF position, place the windshield wiper and washer lever into the OFF position.

2. Rapidly lift the windshield wiper and washer lever upwards twice within 0.5 seconds. This action will cause the wipers to automatically take the service position.

7. Finally, lift the windshield wiper and washer lever to the mist position once and release. This action will cause the wipers to resume the set position.

I have to agree with you, "It just doesn't make any sense being that it is so simple" to read the Owners Manual to learn the features of your car.

Thank you for all that. You wrote a clever and witty little story there. But where did I say I didn't know how to do it? Sure, I didn't know how to do it when I first got the car...this was the first time I saw thiis design; then, however, I found out. Still wondered if it was a design error (see my specific thought/example below). Just something I've never seen. And I didn't scratch the hood either; rather, I said it could happen if someone doesn't know...especially if they do not own it but are changing the wipers. I wasn't even changing them when I discovered this, but was cleaning my windshield and in the process discovered I could not just put them in upright position. And more importantly, we have had two bad years of ice/snow in the mid-Atlantic and I used to raise my wipers overnight to avoid them freezing come morning. To me, it seemed like a design flaw (as in not the standard) that I could not simply put them in upright position, especially if I needed to raise them to clean snow/ice from under them in the instance i forgot to raise them...but they do at least raise up some (and probably enough)...it was just a question/thought/observation a few weeks ago (even if silly)...go stroke yourself somewhere else. I am sorry you wasted a couple minutes of your time at a futile attempt at wit.

If you've got something useful to offer a thread, do so; but leave out your personal tone of aggravation, people will be nonplussed by it and miss any value you may actually have put forth.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Be careful not to touch the wiper switch while the wipers are on the service position and LIFTED OFF THE WINDSHIELD. As you may accidentally tap it, and the wiper will go to its original position and may hit the edge of the hood (just as you won't be able to lift it when it is not on the service position). This is a f^&king design flaw by Nissan and I can imagine someone making this mistake.
Thanks. Didn't even think about that.

·
Registered
466 Posts

It never ceases to amaze me Throck...

If People would only open up the owners manual before getting on a forum a bitching about how stupid their car is .

Seems to me the car is a lot smarted than them .:surprise

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
It never ceases to amaze me Throck...

If People would only open up the owners manual before getting on a forum a bitching about how stupid their car is .

Seems to me the car is a lot smarted than them .:surprise
Also amazing is people who comment in threads without reading the other comments.

I say you people doth protest too much. If one does not like the direction of a thread, don't spend precious seconds of your life that you will never get back further reviewing it, get out quickly and go spend it in a thread you like! :)

·
Registered
591 Posts
fyi a lot of german cars (ie. all the vw, audi, benz) have a service position you need to activate in order to change the wipers. fwir, only the current gen sentra and jukes are the two nissans that have this wiper service position due to how the designed the front end with hood, wiper assembly and windown placement

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you very much for this bit of information. Have been trying to find out how to do it for sometime since my used Sentra came w/o the Owners Manual.

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Thank you very much for this bit of information. Have been trying to find out how to do it for sometime since my used Sentra came w/o the Owners Manual.
A lot of manuals are available online...have you googled yet? If nothing else the FSM's (factory service) certainly are, link in my .sig, and there will be a procedure there on wiper removal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
fyi a lot of german cars (ie. all the vw, audi, benz) have a service position you need to activate in order to change the wipers.
Well holy mackerel this wiper conundrum has just gone from being an "irritating" "design flaw" to now being an intuitive engineering feature......you know, since the expensive German cars have this feature and all. :laugh

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for all that. You wrote a clever and witty little story there. But where did I say I didn't know how to do it? Sure, I didn't know how to do it when I first got the car...this was the first time I saw thiis design; then, however, I found out. Still wondered if it was a design error (see my specific thought/example below). Just something I've never seen. And I didn't scratch the hood either; rather, I said it could happen if someone doesn't know...especially if they do not own it but are changing the wipers. I wasn't even changing them when I discovered this, but was cleaning my windshield and in the process discovered I could not just put them in upright position. And more importantly, we have had two bad years of ice/snow in the mid-Atlantic and I used to raise my wipers overnight to avoid them freezing come morning. To me, it seemed like a design flaw (as in not the standard) that I could not simply put them in upright position, especially if I needed to raise them to clean snow/ice from under them in the instance i forgot to raise them...but they do at least raise up some (and probably enough)...it was just a question/thought/observation a few weeks ago (even if silly)...go stroke yourself somewhere else. I am sorry you wasted a couple minutes of your time at a futile attempt at wit.

If you've got something useful to offer a thread, do so; but leave out your personal tone of aggravation, people will be nonplussed by it and miss any value you may actually have put forth.
I just purchased a used 2014 and thought the same thing as you did. It really makes no sense and most likely an over site on there part and too expensive to change the design.

So, in doing research I cam across this thread with your inquiry and that reply from a ‘master tech’. All I can say is your reply was the best!!! If I could give it a thousand ‘likes’ I would! Bravo!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nissan put on these cars (like mine) the right seat driver (Japan?) types of windshield wipers (they switched their position to add the longer arm on the driver side, and thus why their arms are bent the wrong way and making the car hood standing in their way). Using the same type of wipers for both markets (for left and right seat driver countries) saves maybe couple of dollars per car production and shows disrespect for more than half of their customers. We cannot lift the wipers to change them or to protect them from ice, to wash the windshield etc, furthermore, if you try to do so you may scratch the car hood edge indeed.
I went to nissan dealer and asked them to change the wipers arms but they wont admit the issue and they didn't changed them.
Thank you nissan!

·
Registered
3 Posts
A lot of manuals are available online...have you googled yet? If nothing else the FSM's (factory service) certainly are, link in my .sig, and there will be a procedure there on wiper removal.
There is no standard procedure. There is a neanderthal/Flintstones way to do so by killing the engine when the wipers are at the upper limit, when they stop and you can service them. Stupid nissan!

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is no standard procedure. There is a neanderthal/Flintstones way to do so by killing the engine when the wipers are at the upper limit, when they stop and you can service them. Stupid nissan!
And guess what happens if you forget the wipers lifted or if you replace them on slightly wrong position and you start the car!
We've got Flintstones car!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts