The Nissan Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I have a 97 that comes with a 80amp altrnator and tried my hardest to find a high output alternator and the only one I found was the ohio generator alternators you see people selling here sometimes and they are too damn expensive for something you are gonna wear out probably within 2 years

so here is what i did......
1.intalled 1 farad capacitor.(didnt help much)
2.installed a 2nd battery in the trunk (does no good without an isolater and I am still trying to find one that will work good since we have an internal voltage regulator in the alternator)
3.I got a 100 amp 2nd gen aternator out of a 98 altima, and I needed to get the mounting brackets off the 2nd gen to use it but it all worked out.(didnt help much)
4.upgraded all the grounds including 4ga. ground for the altenator
(seemed to help a little)
5.bought a 5 farad alumapro capacitor(helped a little)

now I heard the battery isolater will help the problem a lot so I am still trying to find one. and once I get the isolater I am gonna install 4ga. wire from the alternator to the isolater

if this doesnt help then I have no clue what to do
anyone haveany ideas?

·
Call me Pippin
591 Posts
Battery won't be much help it seems... it won't release energy fast enough. Next things I would try would be an even higher output alternator and upgrading the power cables everywhere between power and ground in your system. Biggest thing would be a very beefy Alt tho...

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cant get much bigger cables than the ones i got

and as far as running a higher output alternator
that isnt gonna happen cause everywhere i go says that a higher output alternator will not last

·
<for hire>
2,769 Posts
Why is it so important to get rid of the RPM drop? My car does the same thing. It doesn't bother me. Sure, it may run the alternator harder and make it wear out quicker, but replacing that definetly costs less than trying to get rid of the problem.

·
Resident Bitch
1,755 Posts
I kind of enjoy watching my ecu fight the stereo for power when I'm sitting at an idle. Bass hits, rpm's drop... ecu kicks in ups the rpm's... rpm's level off again... bass hits again... round that round it goes.

Demmy

·
Alty Go Boom
505 Posts
Same Thing with me.

If it bugs you that much......
You can try to turn up the cars idle I believe there is a screw on the ecu for this.

Also I don’t recommend this but you can tighten the throttle cable slightly to up the idle speed so the rpm's don’t drop as low. Make sure that its sill idling less then 1 grand spec for 1st gens is around 800rpm I believe.

·
<for hire>
2,769 Posts
novnut said:
Same Thing with me.

If it bugs you that much......
You can try to turn up the cars idle I believe there is a screw on the ecu for this.

Also I don’t recommend this but you can tighten the throttle cable slightly to up the idle speed so the rpm's don’t drop as low. Make sure that its sill idling less then 1 grand spec for 1st gens is around 800rpm I believe.
Don't adjust the throttle cable to increase the idle. If your car is standard, you won't be able to get it into gear half the time without effort.

It isn't hard on the engine (IMO here).. The ecu compensates for the battery drain. Like I said earlier, the only thing that will happen is your alternator will get worn out. Then you just buy a new one and you're set.

·
Alty Go Boom
505 Posts
I know that the throttle cable thing was stupid lol but if he as a auto and hates it that bad lol j/k

1 - 11 of 11 Posts