The Nissan Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What types of batteries do you use in your cars?? Mine is going pretty soon (probably won't start tomorrow) so i wanted to get a new one. I don't run many things off of the battery, just what ever the car needs, and a small amp, and PIAA fogs. Thats it. The alternator i will check later, but i'm fairly sure its good. My lights are only dim at idle, once going the lights are ok. Any suggestions as to battery type ie. optima, ac delco, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
I get whatever Sams Club carries cuz I find they're the cheapest. I've bought batteries from them for 5 cars over the past ~8 years and no problems yet. It's a major brand w/pretty high cca, but I can't recall the brand right now.
If you're gonna run some more electronics like a stereo system, maybe check out the Optima batteries. Quite a few of us here use them. The Red Top seems pretty popular.
Jay
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
0 Posts
altimaluk said:
My lights are only dim at idle, once going the lights are ok.

OK, you need to check the alternator before the battery. When you are at idle, and you give gas, do you lights brighten? If so, your alternator is dying.
 

·
MEMBER
Joined
·
95 Posts
altimaluk said:
What types of batteries do you use in your cars?? Mine is going pretty soon (probably won't start tomorrow) so i wanted to get a new one. I don't run many things off of the battery, just what ever the car needs, and a small amp, and PIAA fogs. Thats it. The alternator i will check later, but i'm fairly sure its good. My lights are only dim at idle, once going the lights are ok. Any suggestions as to battery type ie. optima, ac delco, etc.
i use 2 stinger sp-800 batterys, both under the hood, look on my home page for a pic
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, but i thought that if the car is at idle and the lights dim, then the car starts rolling and the lights get brighter, that the batter is at fault, cuz it can't hold the charge. I don't know, just going from what i hear. I'll get it checked either way, any other batteries out there on the market that are good??
 

·
Girl-Moderator
Joined
·
1,127 Posts
Interstate makes good batteries, also. I have an Optima redtop,
$100 at your local Costco, like Sam's Wholesale.


altimaluk said:
Thanks for the info, but i thought that if the car is at idle and the lights dim, then the car starts rolling and the lights get brighter, that the batter is at fault, cuz it can't hold the charge. I don't know, just going from what i hear. I'll get it checked either way, any other batteries out there on the market that are good??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How much were the yellow and red tops?? and what is the real difference??

Ohyeah, and how many CCA does the altima need?? the battery i have says 650, but i've seen replacement batteries that are rated at 550. What do you suggest??
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
0 Posts
if I remember correctly, the Altima is a 550 or 575 cca. I went ahead and got 650 cca, just to have that extra power if ever necessary for who knows what reason.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
yeah, i want a bluetop battery, so the bluetop optima would make sense for me, but what's the diff between red, yellow, and blue? are they all for cars, or is just the red one made for our cars and the other colors for boats or whatnot...?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Batteries

I've been buying batteries from Sears for more years than I care to remember. Doesn't seem to matter which one I buy, they all last 3-4 years, even the cheap ones.

Interstate is supposed to make a good battery but I've never tried one.
 

·
Reppin Clarksvegas
Joined
·
1,024 Posts
Parsec said:
yeah, i want a bluetop battery, so the bluetop optima would make sense for me, but what's the diff between red, yellow, and blue? are they all for cars, or is just the red one made for our cars and the other colors for boats or whatnot...?
i would want a bluetop simply for color purposes but i would like to know what the differences are in them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,403 Posts
altimaluk said:
Thanks for the info, but i thought that if the car is at idle and the lights dim, then the car starts rolling and the lights get brighter, that the batter is at fault, cuz it can't hold the charge. I don't know, just going from what i hear. I'll get it checked either way, any other batteries out there on the market that are good??
Don't forget that if your battery isn't keeping a charge, the altenator is working a lot harder then it should.

Altimaluk, hope you made it home okay Monday!

Lates,
Drew
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top