The Nissan Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Altima GXE. Sometimes when I start it and put it in park or drive it dies. Idle seems to be pretty steady.

Also, I can push the gas pedal to the floor and it just barely will go and chugs a little. It eventually comes out of it. Any ideas what I should check? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
427 Posts
MAF sensor could be dirty or no longer working, or could be a vacuum leak. Can you scan the computer and see if there is any check engine codes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I finally cleaned MAF sensor with the cleaner they sell at the auto parts store. It has been even worse since then. Tonight it lost all power and would chug badly. I wasn't sure if it was ever going to go again. Then it acts normal again for a while. Is this a sure sign of a bad MAF sensor? Why would cleaning it make it worse? Thanks in advance.

·
2010 2.5 SL
588 Posts
How's your radiator fluid? When my former car did this, it was due to low fluid and a cracked reservoir.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2001 GXE does this exact same thing on occasion (only if it sits outside and there is a lot of moisture in the air or if it is cold). Try letting your car warm up for 5min or so and try shifting it in R or D again, it helps with mine if it acts up. Service manual calls out the idle speed as the most probable cause. I have also read that it could be the idle control valve or air temp being bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts