The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I can't type
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my car starting overheating recently(Sat night). My coolant level is ok.

I swapped guage clusters with MAXDDY Sat morn, could that be the issue? His is a 96 gxe 5sp and mines a 94 GLE auto. (The speedo is off, but were gonna fix that soon. which is why i was thinkng that the cluster s the prob)

Im gonna put a new thermostat in soon, but any other sugggestions?

·
Resident NICO Mod
5,972 Posts
Disconnect the lower hose from your heater core(on the firewall) while the car is running. Let all the air in there burp out and a good steady stream of coolant is coming out. Make sure you have extra coolant to keep the level in the radiator up. Make sure you have the radiator cap off so you don't build up pressure while you are doing this.

·
Resident NICO Mod
5,972 Posts
Eh, I find that works only half the time. Sometimes you have to tip the front of the car to get all the air out.

·
I can't type
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok i think that its just the thermostat cause when the engine is warm the lower hose is cold. the haynes manual suggests that if the lower hose is cold when the engine is warm then the thero is bad.

Im gonna try that tom and see what happens

·
Breu Meister
6,646 Posts
there actually is a way to check if the thermo is bad, i sort of remember. my dad put the thermo in a pot of boiling water to see if the valve opens up, if it does not the thermo is faulty. im almost 100% sure thats what you do to check. good luck

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
for the price of the thermostat, check it and install a new one. if it works, go to the next problem, are your fans coming on?

·
Registered
34 Posts
im getting a similar problem as well, water dried up in a few days, fan works, thermo works, water pump works, leaking maybe? but i cant find any leaks at all....

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
aeis said:
im getting a similar problem as well, water dried up in a few days, fan works, thermo works, water pump works, leaking maybe? but i cant find any leaks at all....
head gasket? have you checked your oil for water? what about your exhaust? is it smoky? white smoke, no matter what the amount, is water.

·
I can't type
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update: I replaced the thermometer and did what REV said and the car stil gets too hot. On a short 5 min drive it did this. I checked and the bottom hose was not hot. However the top hose was hot. Neither was the radiatior cap. wtf??

Im so pissed this better not be expensive cause im getting rid of the car.

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
what about the radiator? you need to check the radiator for hot and cold spots as well. a cold spot will indicate no flow, meaning the rad. is clogged.

·
I can't type
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well i did smell burning antifreeze, but thats cause when i did what rev d told me 2 i got antfreeze all over. I think that its just the guage, becasue I just talked to MAXDDY and he said that his guage is reading just a lil over cold.

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
doesnt hurt to know for sure though. but if you are running normal and your gauge is off, change out the coolant temp sensor.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ok...here is your answer. Disconnect the temperature coolant sensor which is located directly above the temperature gauge sensor (both on the passenger side right above the power steering pump). If you fans come on high and the temperature of the coolant return hose gets colder - then you can rule out the radiator, fans, or relays as the problem. If not...it is one of the three or wiring connecting them. If that does not solve it - then the resistance signal retrived by the ECM through the temperature coolant temperature is about 0.180 ohms (which is the cut on point for low fan speed). I could go on, but simply put you may have to replace the temperature coolant sensor. BUT check all the other things I mentioned first.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts