The Nissan Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You might remember me from such posts as: Car Problems Part I, II, Car Probems Again and What is Next, ETC...

THe problem now is, why is it that my battery positive terminal is getting a lot corrosion? I cleaned on thursday and it seems like its been 7 years since I cleaned it! The problem first appeared a couble of months back and I just ignored but car seemed not to start a few days ago and I'm thinking it might be the battery....First it was some kind of green/blue substance and now it turned to white, what is wrong with my batter? Should it be time to replaced it? I bought it about 3-4 years ago....its a cheap battery by the way.

THanks,
Louis

·
1,484 Posts
How many miles are on the battery. Also you can take it to Sears, or Autozone, and they can test your battery for free, and tell you if it's going dead.

·
Registered
48 Posts
a bad connection or dirty connection can be a weird thign wht bateries start fine one min and not at all the next just clean the terminals really good and use a solution of baking soda and water it neutralizes the corrosion.

·
Registered
432 Posts
And after you clean the terminals as "94redse" recommended above, you MUST cover them with some dielectric grease or even ordinary grease, otherwise the corrosion WILL return soon. In case you don't have any grease at all around the house, use some fresh motor oil.
H.

·
projected member
919 Posts
you could also put batt. pads under the terminals sold at parts stores. they help at corrosion build up. you could put a penny under the batt. hold down bracket. all the corrosion will be attracted there and not the terminals

1 - 7 of 7 Posts