The Nissan Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning,
This is in regard to my car not being able to start sometimes. (Check "Car Problems Again" dated 02-17-2003) According to your replies most like will be the STARTER. I will take the battery and alternator to have it test today and see if there is anything wrong with that but I still have a few questions regarding STARTER:

On the Haynes Manual for Altima 93-97 on Section 5-9/17 There are directions on how to Remove/Install the Starter Motor....This manual does not have the level of dificulty required to replace this part, How difficult do you guys think this should be?

On the Haynes Manual for Altima 93-97 on Section 5-10/18 There are directions on how to Remove/Install the Starter Solenoid......My question to you here is, are the Starter Motor and Starter SOlenoid the same thing or two different things that I need to replace?

What I'm Thinking is that the Starter Solenoid is located inside the Starter Motor...If I purchase a new Starter Motor I would not have to worry about the Starter Solenoid as it is also new?

I log on to Autozone.com and those starters are kind of expensive. I found a few on car-parts that I might be able to use, do you think is a good idea to buy from Car-parts and save some money. My brother in law had the same problem with his G20 and and purchased a new starter from a Junk Yard and his car has been running for good for about a year...

Thank everybody and hope I'm not a pain in your ass.

Louis

·
4,020 Posts
Starters will go bad overtime. I've replaced mine twice in about 2 years (besides the one that was bad right out of the box). And you are correct stating both units will be replaced when you buy a rebuilt on from AutoZone. As for difficulty, not that bad, just a pain because you have to get to it from underneath the car. It's located on the firewall side of the engine and about midway up. If I recall correctly, it's only held on by one bolt. However you cannot visually see it very well, more touch and feel.

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
I will bet you 50$ it's just the solenoid. Take it off and clean it up. I feel bad for all the people who change the whole starter for a 20$ part. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts