The Nissan Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody,
I have car problems again! About a month ago I let my brother in law used my car (alti 95 GLE) for about 3 weeks, then one day, I was going to use it and it did not start, I had lights on the dashboard, power windows/doors worked so I said is not a battery issue....then left to California. When I came back it did not start, same problem, next day I went to my car and it started just fine but now I'm afraid the car is not going to start once I'm at work or somewhere else....My brother in law brought some friend of him that is a mechanic and said is the STARTUP, I have no idea where this is? how much it should be? and how much it should cost me to have it replace?

Few months ago I had problems with, alternator, distributor.....etc....on that occacion I asked you guys for a place where I could buy inexpensive parts for my car and you guys gave me the link to this website that is sort of a search engine for used car parts, can you guys tell me what this web site was?

Thanks,

Louis

pd: opps! I will do a search right now, but just in case please let me know what the link is.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Lights on the dashboard does not mean that the battery is necessarily good... it might have just enough juice to turn your lights on but not enough to start up the car.. happened to me that way not too long ago..

Not to say that's the problem.. but wanted to point that out.

Chris

·
VTEC V6
211 Posts
My Altima did that, sometimes it would start, sometimes it wouldn't. Something in the starter was burned up and needed replacement -- under warranty. That would be my guess since my Altima behaved the same way.

·
Cube Farmer
2,202 Posts
Could be a worn out starter, there actually is a smaller motor inside the starter that "starts" the actual starting motor, if this is going bad then your starter will be picky about when it wants to start.

is it a M/T? if its a manuel it could be the switch on the clutch pedal going bad, the one that senses if your clutch pedal is all the way pushed in before you start it.

·
Glowin' Authority
253 Posts
Where were you sitting when you tried to start it, there is a little plastic peice in your shifter that makes sure your in park before starting the engine, if you park on a hill or dont engage the Park-Break you might run into a problem as such, where the car does not think you are in park, to fix this, turn the key to where you can shift, shift into N then back into park, or something as such (you can start in N) just so that the shifter engages the little plastic peice. Also it might be that that little piece is starting to wear out. A mechanic can fix it quickly with a new piece, just a thought.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It happened to me too. It only happened a few times. It would not start, then a key turn later and it would. Suddenly, a few days later, I was stuck in Best Buy's parking lot; fortunately I have a manual transmission. The starter solenoid was gone, unfortunately, it's one with the starter and both had to be replaced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wanna give props to SuprStyl cuz my problem was the little rubber stopper that presses down the button on the clutch. What happend was that the stopper had fallen out. If you have a 5spd CHECK THIS FIRST!

·
o werd
2,688 Posts
Re: I think I got it!

Louis KanHura said:
Hello,
I think i got a link to the site I was searching for: http://www.car-part.com.

If you guys know of any other site please let me know.

Question: Starter and startup is the same?

THanks,

Louis

"Sorry Bad HTML Form Email your Webmaster " <-- I got that when I tried to do a search, wtf? I got a similar problem and I think it might also be my starter

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
Yup my guess would be the solenoid....now whoever said you can't just replace the solenoid is actually wrong. The last time my starter went I hauled it out and changed "JUST" the solenoid. Works great.

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
Yup...I know what you mean. Most starters aren't so either he didn't know or he was trying to make a buck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts