The Nissan Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting from the top.

Wednesday, Nov. 7, 2001
I'm in a car accident. This bitch runs the stop sign, I have no visual contact, nor do I have any signs to adhere too. The intersection I am traveling is Utah and Louisiana. I clip the Pontiac Bonneville behind the rear tire. She leaves the scene. Police judge it her fault by witness account and my account. My car was fine. Scratched my paint and screwed up my light housing. (needs new bolt) bent part of the hood..just that part that slides down along the side of the grill. No big deal.

Saturday Night/Sunday Morning Nov. 11, 2001

Car since the accident has been running funny. piss poor gas mileage..sounds fine, feels fine. Noted no strong smells. I run my car once. First time really running since the accident. I top out first and shift to second. My car simply doesn't pull. I shift third, car does nothing. Revving high I go neutral and take my foot off the gas. I roll at about 35? 40? I wasn't lookin' at the speedometer..I was watchin' my tach.

The car links up in first after I pull aside and brake to a stop. I pull into parking lot and open hood. No smoke. Just a really strong rather disgusting smell. Did my clutch burn up? It drives well now. I can smell a slight "burning" aroma when I drive for more than 30 minutes. I drove to the store, no ill effects. Turned my vent on, could smell the aroma. I don't know how to describe it. Burning is all I can say. Or about to burn. I let the vent run on high. The scent goes away. (Residue maybe?) roll down the windows and turn the vent to heat. Same smell, but it goes away aftera few minutes. Continue to drive easy on the car, nothing. I push the car just a little bit..for about 5 minutes. Take it on the highway...then to stop and go traffic (residential) Then park. As I"m parking I can smell it again. But not very strong. It lingers while I park and and then I shut off the engine.

With this information. Clutch? Tranny? Stupidity??? What do you all think.

Black Nissan Altima GXE 1998
Manual Transmission

·
Banned
0 Posts
take a shower

try changing your oil and tranny fluid. This probably is not the problem, but it is a start to eliminating possibilities.

G

·
the same thing happened with my first POS car. i'd burnt my cluch and i think a better way to describe the smell would be like if someone were burning a tire, or rubber. its a damn dirty smell

·
Registered
475 Posts
do you think you are just noticing it now that you had the accident? I mean I'd be real paranoid after an accident trying to find any little thing wrong. You'll have a hard time with the minimal damage to your car to get an INS co to pay for a clutch, they'll say the accident had nothing to do with it (its not like the motor or trans got moved by the impact) If you just have a slightly dented hood and a bent headlight they'll say just that. As for the smell, it is possible that you have an antifreeze leak. Since the impact occured in the front where the radiator is, that most likely took a good jolt, possibly caused a crack in one of the hoses, seam, or joint. It could easily get to the exhaust and burn off. Just a thought.

·
Registered
186 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
alchemist said:
do you think you are just noticing it now that you had the accident? I mean I'd be real paranoid after an accident trying to find any little thing wrong. You'll have a hard time with the minimal damage to your car to get an INS co to pay for a clutch, they'll say the accident had nothing to do with it (its not like the motor or trans got moved by the impact) If you just have a slightly dented hood and a bent headlight they'll say just that. As for the smell, it is possible that you have an antifreeze leak. Since the impact occured in the front where the radiator is, that most likely took a good jolt, possibly caused a crack in one of the hoses, seam, or joint. It could easily get to the exhaust and burn off. Just a thought.
Thats a good thought.

·
Registered
572 Posts
kackarot said:
stop farting in ur car damn it
Some people are just stupid. ^---

anyways, just it to a PROFESSIONAL shop and have them look at it. -They'll tell you if somthing is wrong, ...Unless they're shaddy.
but that's another story.

On a side note:My car smells like weed.

·
Now that was just ghey...
77 Posts
my car smells like.......... DEER SEASON!!!:D :D :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks you all

The car goes into the shop tomorrow. I spoke with the mechanic, he said he's got a feeling it was the clutch heating up real bad, and that it may be just nothing to worry about too much. He also mentioned radiator leakage and the antifreeze splashing here and there causing a burning smell.

I'll know very shortly what the culprit is/was. Thanks for the responses though, you guys are a big help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Had a similar problem on an old tercel I had. It drove ok for 10 miles or so then drove on highway and car dind't have no power. Felt like car was didn't want to budge. had that burning smell aswell. Thhought of tranny but it's auto. Pulled of hubcap and bingo. Seized caliper. You never know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts