The Nissan Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Nissan Altima
66k miles

I have not had any problems with my Nissan the 3 years I've owned it. Bought it brand new, regular oil/maintenance checks on time.
Yesterday, while driving after maybe 10 minutes on the highway as I exited and came to a stop, it started to sputter a little and I thought this is weird. And it went away. Got back on the highway a few mins later, drove another 20 minutes and at my exit it did the same thing, sputtering. Drove another 10 mins to my job, pulled in my parking space and it completely died on me! I thought wth?? Started right back up put into gear (d) died again. Started up put in reverse, dies. Ok. So I go into work, 8 hours later drive straight home, sit with the car in gear a few mins and it dies.
The only noise I hear it making is some crackling, crunching from under the hood.
No rpm's going crazy, no service light. Nothing.

Anyone experience this before?
I don't think it's CVT.
Could it be bad air filter? Alternator?

·
Senior Citzen Member
66 Posts
Battery? Loose battery connection? Corroded battery connection? These are the first things that I would check. While you are on the highway the alternator is providing all the electrical power that you need. When you are stopped and the alternator is turning slower,
the battery needs to be in good shape.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Post back with an update if you can! Hopefully you get it resolved

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
No way it's a battery or corroded terminal...you'd never be able to restart the car.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Did you fill up right before this started happening? It's either electrical, fuel delivery (or bad fuel), or a vacuum leak.

Take a look under the hood. Is there's corrosion on the battery terminals? Clean it off. Are all hoses connected and in good condition?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Which would be consistent with maximum flex on the engine ground strap/cable, or other harness wiring like cam/crank position sensors.

·
Registered
286 Posts
If they don't find the issue take a jumper cable and ground the engine head to the negative terminal (mind where you lay all the wire) and then see if it changes. If you lost your engine ground to body it will act weird.

Your old connection could've rusted away, gotten ripped off, and your mounts might have just enough wear to allow the ground to get free. If nothing else this test is easy and simple to do if your issue is this predictable.

·
Registered
364 Posts
It looks like you're out of warranty -- time to find a good local mechanic and skip the dealership in the future.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Diagnostic test reads a problem with the transmission. Service manager said it could be a problem as small as a $5 part but with Nissan and the warranty they can't open the transmission without voiding it. So they are replacing the transmission.
Craziest thing I've experienced with a car and I've been through some cars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts