The Nissan Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fist thing I noticed was that the car won’t take a full tank of gas. The nozzle just shuts off after a little over 3 quarters of a tank. Yesterday, two days after this I was on a slight incline pulling out into traffic and it started stuttering so I put it in neutral and reved it a little and it was fine with no issues the rest the day. This morning my husband was on the way to work and it just stalled out on him. He was able to crank it back up and it runs fine in all gears and in park but if you try to give it gas it just dies. We’re going to try to have it towed to parts store and get diagnostics ran on it for it to hopefully be a sensor but does anybody have an idea on this? Even if is a sensor what’s up with it not taking the full amount of fuel? Please help.

·
Registered
2007 Nissan Altima Hybrid
2 Posts
Just joined, but figured I'd randomly give this a shot. I've only owned one Nissan (my current car) but have had experience working on several types of cars in the past. So, here's my list to try and narrow it down.
1) What year and model is it?
2) Is it standard or automatic transmission?
3) Is your MIL (service engine/check engine) light off, solid on, or flashing on when this happens?
4) When idling, do the RPM's surge upward or lag significantly (+-300 RPM's)?
5) How many miles ago was the last tune-up? (Including spark plugs, air filter, and fuel filter specifically?)

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Not normal on a Nissan but you might suspect fuel tank and such. On Fords which have fuel tank collapsing issues due to a vent that vents the tank sticking shut the tanks cave in to alter the amount of fuel tank can hold. Climb under car and see if fuel tank is getting distorted out of shape. It then affects the fuel pump and the car gets a small amount of fuel to run but then dies when you try to take off as the fuel demand goes way up. A fuel pressure check might show it too but not easily done like on a Ford.

Dunno, just sayin' and it seems to fit. You might try loosening the fuel cap or removing it. A code for that will show up but if car suddenly runs better you'll know. Vent valve gets changed and often fuel tank unless it can be reshaped close to right. May just be a bad fuel pump too.

Could be CVT trouble too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts