The Nissan Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys: My engine light came and took car to mechanic. They said is code P0420 cat efficiency needs a catalytic converter. Asking $600 plus for the job. The car is running fine. I just had fix other things since last month, too much money on it. If this is something that can wait or you guys recommended do it right away? Thanks for your attention. :smile

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Lol, i dunno..when my car popped this code, it was an O2 sensor. Replaced it and the code never came back. Maybe get another opinion to keep "people" honest.

·
Altimer
824 Posts
I would hazard a guess since he just did a head gasket it's the 2.5, it's a lot more common then on the 3.5.

I would get it done as soon as your budget allows. This could cause damage to your engine leading to serious oil consumption issues.

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Funny how they seem to leave certain tid bits like this out of the post. I retract my previous post..... thus as thus..lol
I would hazard a guess since he just did a head gasket it's the 2.5, it's a lot more common then on the 3.5.

I would get it done as soon as your budget allows. This could cause damage to your engine leading to serious oil consumption issues.

·
Registered
138 Posts
parent's car has had the p0420 code for 3 yrs. Runs fine. For inspection, I just clear the code, run it 25 mins, and it passes inspection every time. I may change the 02 sensor on it though. Is it an easy job?

edit. Like others said, it could be a more serious issue. I shouldn't have implied its not serious and to just let it go, sorry.

·
Altimer
824 Posts
Also, be careful clearing your ECU's memory when it comes time for emissions. When you clear your codes you also erase the memory of all your monitors. If where you are, they use the OBDII port for emissions, you must make sure you have cleared your monitors. Some states will accept 1 not ready monitor, some will have two, some will require you to have all the monitors cleared (0 not ready). Some of these monitors require you to drive at a certain speed for a certain amount of time and sometimes at a certain ambient temperature (evap).

·
Registered
138 Posts
you can also ask for a readiness test to see if it will pass that code portion. If you ask them to see if it will pass emissions, some may say they have to charge you, but make sure you ask for a "readiness test." I'm sure some knuckleheads will be a-holes, so call around. I used this video to help me pass it here in texas for a p0420 code. Not sure if it works for other codes as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ5_vLibPLQ

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. Mechanic replaced the Crankshaft position sensor in February. Car was running good. I did not have any problems or I should said symptoms for the sensor issue. Engine light came back like a week, car still running fine. Light engine disappear and two days later came back on. I took my car to the mechanic since I thought it was related to the sensor that he just changed and he gave me warranty on that job. Which one is the 02 sensor that you guys referred to ? Thanks again for all your replies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts