The Nissan Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2007 Nissan altima that I bought used on marketplace here on Facebook. Car runs and drives great, but not even a month later check engine light comes on. Took it to autozone to have them use their checker thing lol and the code came back po420? That's what I find on the paper. Says I need to replace catalytic converter. Over 800 dollars for the part alone. Please help

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does it sound like a it got a rusted hole in it?
It does sometimes...it's not a very loud car, in fact it's pretty quiet unless I'm speeding up I guess lol. I'm not good with cars and I've literally only had it a month to the day. I've been in contact with the young guy I bought it from and showed him the paper that autozone printed for me. He's willing to help with some of the cost, but also said a friend of his said that I could have a straight pipe in it's place? I think that's what he said. I don't wanna go out and buy a 800+ dollar part before I have it looked at. I seen a question above that said take their vehicle to a muffler shop. I'm gonna do that asap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It does sometimes...it's not a very loud car, in fact it's pretty quiet unless I'm speeding up I guess lol. I'm not good with cars and I've literally only had it a month to the day. I've been in contact with the young guy I bought it from and showed him the paper that autozone printed for me. He's willing to help with some of the cost, but also said a friend of his said that I could have a straight pipe in it's place? I think that's what he said. I don't wanna go out and buy a 800+ dollar part before I have it looked at. I seen a question above that said take their vehicle to a muffler shop. I'm gonna do that asap.
All I know is all a sudden check engine light came on and took it to autozone and that's what printed out...catalytic converter

·
Registered
398 Posts
Replacing the CAT with a straight pipe is generally against federal law. It all depends what state your car is registered in and if they require emissions testing. Your best bet is to get a CAT from RockAuto; Their products are generally very good quality, the cheapest around and they have a good return policy:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Replacing the CAT with a straight pipe is generally against federal law. It all depends what state your car is registered in and if they require emissions testing. Your best bet is to get a CAT from RockAuto; Their products are generally very good quality, the cheapest around and they have a good return policy:
Than
Thank you so much. Prices are definitely cheaper! Pretty sure my state doesn't do emissions...Indiana

·
Registered
37 Posts
I did this to my 2006 Altima SE V6. It's not a guarantee but it did work for me whenever my CEL threw a catalytic code.
You should make sure that your sensor is working before you replace the sensor or follow the video, so you're not wasting time/money.
As I said, it worked for me, but your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
2009 nissan altima 2.5S
9 Posts

Mines have a rusted hole inside the layer of metal,, just bought a new cat and will install in the next few days.. also my RPM idle is very low and dont know what to do and how to get it rev up to 550-750k . But cars runs fine with no sputtering

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did this to my 2006 Altima SE V6. It's not a guarantee but it did work for me whenever my CEL threw a catalytic code.
You should make sure that your sensor is working before you replace the sensor or follow the video, so you're not wasting time/money.
As I said, it worked for me, but your mileage may vary.
When you say make sure your sensor is working... what do you mean? Lol I have no clue. And I want to thank you so much for showing me this...I AM doing this.

·
Registered
21 Posts
When you say make sure your sensor is working... what do you mean? Lol I have no clue. And I want to thank you so much for showing me this...I AM doing this.
If you replace the catalytic converter and you still get the same fault, its possible you have a bad sensor. The dealer or shop should be able to diagnosed this with a scan tool.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you replace the catalytic converter and you still get the same fault, its possible you have a bad sensor. The dealer or shop should be able to diagnosed this with a scan tool.
Ok. I was letting it Rev up at about 2 to 3 rpms and you could see smoke and it smelled like it could be clogged 🤷‍♀️. I just hope I didn't f it up even more lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
A good mechanic (keyword: good) should be able to tell you for certain if the sensor is bad. If you want to do it yourself you can try but it's not the easiest. You can use a torch to get it hot enough to register a value that you can read with a multimeter or buy a higher-end scanner to get live data (I use a Blue Driver, $100). The scanner is more reliable as it will show you timing in a real work situation. I'd recommend the Blue Driver route as it will pay for itself if you're really going to get into repairing your car yourself.
If not just find a good, honest mechanic in your area. Not quite a finding a unicorn, but a close second. Good luck either way.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
The usual course is to change the O2 sensor after the cat first since it can be that and cheaper than the cat. If the car has been driven longterm out of tune to miss then the cat is likely bad.

The front O2 and rear get compared to tell if cat itself is bad, most mechs can do that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, I have a 2007 Nissan altima that I bought used on marketplace here on Facebook. Car runs and drives great, but not even a month later check engine light comes on. Took it to autozone to have them use their checker thing lol and the code came back po420? That's what I find on the paper. Says I need to replace catalytic converter. Over 800 dollars for the part alone. Please help
87 bucks ebay

1 - 16 of 16 Posts