The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have gone the route of a WAI system with exposed filter for your cars, you might want to take note of something.

Last weekend, I installed the Frankencar intake with the Apexi filter. I have already written about how much I like it and the way it performs. But there is one thing we, who have done WAI's need to be concerned about that we may not have taken into consideration before.

Water. Yes, water. Yesterday I did a little test to see if there was any chance that water might invade the filter and therefore, the MAF screen and sensor. I covered the filter with a plastic bag, then laid several layers of paper towels over the filter. Then I closed the hood and poored about 1/2 gallon of water from a bucket on the hood. When I raised the hood, I saw that water had covered the paper towes about 1/3 of the way up the filter! The gutters in the engine bay of our cars are not very good and since there is no rubber seal, a bit of water will make its way into the area of the filter.

Next I positioned the filter back towards the throttle body about 4 inches and did the test again. This time, barely any water touched the filter.

In a hard driving rain, this might be a concern. When you wash your car, you might want to cover the filter with a plastic bag first, just to be safe.
 

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
Joined
·
15,208 Posts
Altimat said:
Yes, and thank you! But would a little dampening of the filter surface really be any cause for concern??
Mike, I would not consider it a good thing....Man always a concession for everything fun!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,341 Posts
Pvick brings up a concern that everyone
running an open air element should be
concerned about: hydrolock.

Here's my testimonial on the subject.
My SE-R has had an open air cone filter
on the end of my CAI for 3 tears without
any problems associated with water.

My 3.5 has had the JWT "POP"
on it since January, likewise without
any problems.

Despite what a lot of you
believe, N. TX is not the most arid
eco system. We get our fair share
of pouring rains. So, I can say with
complete confidence, that I'm not worried
about hydrolock given my past history.
 

·
member
Joined
·
2,883 Posts
good test but I don't think that should be a major concern for you intake. a litte water vapor or light mist won't hurt it. the aem cai I had on my old altima always got a little damp when I washed the car or when it rained. as long as the intake doesn't suck up standing water you won't have any problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,296 Posts
pvick said:
For those of you who have gone the route of a WAI system with exposed filter for your cars, you might want to take note of something.

Last weekend, I installed the Frankencar intake with the Apexi filter. I have already written about how much I like it and the way it performs. But there is one thing we, who have done WAI's need to be concerned about that we may not have taken into consideration before.

Water. Yes, water. Yesterday I did a little test to see if there was any chance that water might invade the filter and therefore, the MAF screen and sensor. I covered the filter with a plastic bag, then laid several layers of paper towels over the filter. Then I closed the hood and poored about 1/2 gallon of water from a bucket on the hood. When I raised the hood, I saw that water had covered the paper towes about 1/3 of the way up the filter! The gutters in the engine bay of our cars are not very good and since there is no rubber seal, a bit of water will make its way into the area of the filter.

Next I positioned the filter back towards the throttle body about 4 inches and did the test again. This time, barely any water touched the filter.

In a hard driving rain, this might be a concern. When you wash your car, you might want to cover the filter with a plastic bag first, just to be safe.
Good info PVick! You can however install weatherstrip along the fender or hood to prevent this water from coming in contact with your filter.

I have not considered any major mod changes till my factory warranty expires. After the MAF debacle, I decide to relatively leave it stock with the exception my my K&N, RAI & Grille mods.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wasn't and am not concerned with hydrolock because the filter only gets a little wet and with it positioned like I currently have it, about 4 inches back from where it was in the initial install, it just gets a light misting. This should present not problem to the cylinders. My concern was the MAF and the sensor behind the screen. I was just curious. I know whenever I wash my car, I will cover the filter with a plastic bag to protect it. I also insert plastic cups with electical tape for friction, into my Stillen tips to keep water out of the mufflers.

Yesterday, I also did something else just in case the open filter presents any kind of problems with water. I cut the entire bottom off of the stock airbox so that I could install an OEM (Fram or Puralator.. not Nissan since it is oil-wetted) in the upper housing. The air filter would then be fully exposed to the air around the wheel well, but would be UNDER the upper housing. I would still use the Frankencar mid pipe since it is much better than our stock units.

But unless I have a problem with the Apexi filter (open filter), I will stay with it because it DOES CRANK!
 

·
The Tat Man
Joined
·
612 Posts
pvick said:
For those of you who have gone the route of a WAI system with exposed filter for your cars, you might want to take note of something.

Last weekend, I installed the Frankencar intake with the Apexi filter. I have already written about how much I like it and the way it performs. But there is one thing we, who have done WAI's need to be concerned about that we may not have taken into consideration before.

Water. Yes, water. Yesterday I did a little test to see if there was any chance that water might invade the filter and therefore, the MAF screen and sensor. I covered the filter with a plastic bag, then laid several layers of paper towels over the filter. Then I closed the hood and poored about 1/2 gallon of water from a bucket on the hood. When I raised the hood, I saw that water had covered the paper towes about 1/3 of the way up the filter! The gutters in the engine bay of our cars are not very good and since there is no rubber seal, a bit of water will make its way into the area of the filter.

Next I positioned the filter back towards the throttle body about 4 inches and did the test again. This time, barely any water touched the filter.

In a hard driving rain, this might be a concern. When you wash your car, you might want to cover the filter with a plastic bag first, just to be safe.
Can you post a pic of the new filer positioning please. I would like to see what you are talking about. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To Jayman9207;

I really wish I could, but I don't own a digital camera. Read some more of my postings on this topic and try to get a mental picture of what I am trying to describe.

Basically, I used a 4 inche "L" bracket with two quarter inch holes per leg, and an 8 inch straight bracket, also with quarter inch holes. Some bending in a vice and the parts did the job perfectly.
 

·
The Tat Man
Joined
·
612 Posts
pvick said:
To Jayman9207;

I really wish I could, but I don't own a digital camera. Read some more of my postings on this topic and try to get a mental picture of what I am trying to describe.

Basically, I used a 4 inche "L" bracket with two quarter inch holes per leg, and an 8 inch straight bracket, also with quarter inch holes. Some bending in a vice and the parts did the job perfectly.
Sweet guy!!!:bigok: I think I understand now! Thanks for the description!!

On another note........when you bought your Frankencar, did it come with the midpipe or do you buy that seperately?? :confused: It was kind of hard to figure out from their web site. They kind of make it look like you buy both seperately. Thanks again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To interkool;

No. The free WAI mod is a simple, piece-of-cake change that takes maybe all of 2-3 minutes (5 if you remove the negative battery cable like you should) and rewards you with a 7 horsepower/6 pounds/feet torque increase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Is it just me or does this whole WAI/CAI hydrolock/MAF problem get posted on like at least once a weekas if no one has ever addressed the topic? Maybe it's just me ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
pvick said:
To interkool;

No. The free WAI mod is a simple, piece-of-cake change that takes maybe all of 2-3 minutes (5 if you remove the negative battery cable like you should) and rewards you with a 7 horsepower/6 pounds/feet torque increase.

Do you know how much hp does the FrickenCar intake put out?
 

·
...
Joined
·
1,873 Posts
VirtualOutlook..............I can say this.............It is very noticeable to the butt-dyno!!!!
My car seems to get out from under me like it did new.........last December!!! :D
pvick, has posted alot of excellent information on this intake...............I am still trying to digest all of it! :eek:

This intake made my tiny V6 sound like a V8 !
The only concern I have is all the dead insects building up in my APEXi, nothing a little maintenance wont solve!!! ;) :D I left the stock RAM scoop on!

It has been raining for the last 36 hours here.............due to the tropical storm...........I haven't noticed any 'ill' effects............yet! ;)
 
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Top