The Nissan Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new to the form, I've had my 02 Altima for 3 weeks now. It's a beautiful car!

However, I am finding I problem with my CD player. The player takes a while to read a track and it also starts to skip over songs automatically.
At first I thought my CD was scratched, but it continued to happen to all 6 of the CD's in the player. This does not occur over bumpy riding condtions, it is constant........so that scenario is out the question.

I am wondering if anyone has had this problem? I will be taking the car into the dealers next week.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are burned CD's, however i have been using these CD's in other players and even on my TL-S with out any problems.

However, I will try put in origial CD's to see if the problem is still there.

·
Banned
6,858 Posts
CD burners will burn CDs with a slight difference depending on the brand, speed of the burn, etc.
I've played burned CDs in my non Bose unit and everyone played just fine. I burned all of mine on a Yamaha SCSI 16x burner.
Have someone else burn a few and try them in your player. Could be the way your burner writes data to the disc and the Bose unit is more sensitive to this.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
56 Posts
CDNalty, When you say it skips over songs, do you mean it does not play in order of recording or does it play randomly. If it is the later, then your setting is on random play and not continuous play. That is a simple fix, just follow the manual instructions on that topic. I play burned CDs all the time and have experienced no problems.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Had my car for about 5 weeks and play nothing but CD-R and never missed a beat.

Perhaps your burner is off or else check when you take the car in to the dealer. My previous Civic Si had a bad CD unit and was replaced after two weeks.

ps. I burn with a Ricoh burner

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
The Nissan factory CD players do play CD-Rs.

My CD player also skipped A LOT on one of my burned CDs that a friend gave me. Up until then, I had never had a problem with the CD the friend gave me, until in my Alty. My car CD player has also played every other CD I have burned just fine.

I agree with the other posts. Try another burner/ try burning at a slower speed (ex: you have a 12x write CD burner... write at 4x or 8x) / try some non-home-made CDs. Let us know how it turns out!

Also, a note, if really bright sunlight gets into that CD hole, this can cause skipping as well. I know that this isn't your case, but just an FYI.

G

·
I haven't had any problems at all with burned cd's. I found that using cd clone was the way to go. With some other burning software, I had problems with my last car but never with cd clone

·
Future Z Driver
797 Posts
2002Altima said:
Try another burner/ try burning at a slower speed (ex: you have a 12x write CD burner... write at 4x or 8x) / try some non-home-made CDs.
I've had the same experience with CD-Rs. I have an 8x burner, but sometimes if I burn at 8x the discs won't read in certain CD players. If I burn at 4x, I can read them anywhere.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'll chip in and add my weight to the "Use a different burner" advice. I spent a month once making all my Dad's old LPs into CDs so he could listen them on his van CD player. I was using an older PC with a 4x burner, and never made a coaster or one he couldn't play perfectly.

Then I sold that PC and bought a "new and improved" laptop with a DVD/CD/CD-RW drive rated for 10x writes on CDRs. Eventually my Dad found a few more LPs he wanted onto CDs, so I created them with my new laptop. Although I could play those CDRs fine on all the CD players in my house, he couldn't get any one of them to play in his van. I re-burned one at 4x on the laptop and it still wouldn't play in his van. I finally burned it again on my office PC with a dedicated CDR drive at 6x, and he could play that one fine. So I now drive all the way to work in the evenings to make LPs into CDs for my Dad. Forunately, I think He's out of LPs now.

My point? All CD writers are not created equal. Some CD players are less capable than others. Try another burner, or at least a slower burn speed.

OpalBlue

·
Registered
24 Posts
Many CD players have problems with CDR CD's. The speed in which you burn makes no difference. What will make a difference is the make of the CD and the length of the CD.

Fact: 80 minute CDs are fine for data but offen cause problems in some CD players.

Fact: You may find that a copied CD plays fine in one player but not in another.

Taken from the Nero (authority on CDR burning) trouble shooting webpage: "If you have burned on 80 minute CD-Rs then this could be the cause. The track spacing on 80 minute CD-Rs is very small and is on the limit of the specification. Numerous drives have problems reading CDs of this kind"

Use good quality CDs (if you buy 500 for $10 they are not good) and make sure they are 74 minute if you plan to use them for audio. Burn as fast as you like.

Reddy

·
Frozen Member
1,962 Posts
Reddy said:
Many CD players have problems with CDR CD's. The speed in which you burn makes no difference. What will make a difference is the make of the CD and the length of the CD.

Fact: 80 minute CDs are fine for data but offen cause problems in some CD players.

Fact: You may find that a copied CD plays fine in one player but not in another.

Taken from the Nero (authority on CDR burning) trouble shooting webpage: "If you have burned on 80 minute CD-Rs then this could be the cause. The track spacing on 80 minute CD-Rs is very small and is on the limit of the specification. Numerous drives have problems reading CDs of this kind"

Use good quality CDs (if you buy 500 for $10 they are not good) and make sure they are 74 minute if you plan to use them for audio. Burn as fast as you like.

Reddy
actually, there is a difference in burn speeds. lower speeds will be better burns with less 'jitter'. this will in turn be easier for the cd player to read.

·
Future Z Driver
797 Posts
Reddy said:
My experience directly contradicts this. I've done the following test:
1) Rip an audio CD to my hard drive.
2) Burn copy #1 at 8x.
3) Burn copy #2 on the same type of media (usually 80 minute) at 4x.
4) Try both burned discs in my roommate's boombox. The 8x copy will not play, but the 4x will. On my Discman or Riovolt, both copies play fine.

I burn a LOT of CDRs because I trade live concerts of my favorite band. One of the foremost rules in the CDR trading community is not to burn discs above 4x speed because of this problem.

·
Registered
37 Posts
burned cd in the stock cd player

I've played about 5-6 different types of CDRs in my stock cd player. No problems. I think one or two CDs where I crammed a lot of music on, the last tracks seem more prone to skipping, but keep in mind I'm ocassionally driving on some really bad NYC roads.

I haven't tried CDRWs and really don't plan to. Many of the CDs are real cheapo ones too. Recorded on different recorders, mostly with Nero. A couple with Adaptec. Nero kicks ass btw, never going back to Easy CD. I've recorded on 4x, 8x and 16x writers - all no problems - I just noticed the cds I have here are 8x and I've used some on a 16x recorder and no problems.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Unleaded - Hmmm, I wasn't aware of the jitter issue. I'll look into that for future use.

Afti - The 80 min CDs work in your player at but may not work for people in this forum. Try the same test with a four CDs (2 @ 80 and 2 @ 74)

For all reading this post, try low burn speeds with 74 minute CDs and you should see improvements in the playback in your 02 Altimas. If it doesn't work then you tried everything you can.

Reddy

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
23,056 Posts
nothing but cdr's

i have an IOMEGA 8x4x32, never missed a beat. I never play my radio because my coils have yet to be replaced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
CD problems gone.

First of all I have to say that I was hesitant to join a forum. But all that has changed. You guys have really posted some excellent solutions to my problem.....and in fact I have noticed that the CD's I had in the car were burned on lower quality CD and not on the burner I normally use.

I changed the CD's and I am not encountering these problems anymore. However just on a side note I notice that it does take this Bose system a little longer then other in dash 6 systems to read a song........notably compared to my TL-S which also has a in-dash 6 Bose system.

Looking forward to having more questions answered.
THANKS

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.