The Nissan Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything I need to know about changing the battery other than just taking out the old one and putting in the new one?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Positive first off, last on. Clean and grease (white lithium is a good choice) the battery terminal hardware.

Your car is a little young to be needing a new battery...why do you think it needs replacing?

·
6,365 Posts
In the past, I have used boiling water with salt to clean the terminal, then use some Dielectric Grease.
Why salt? Seems like the last thing you'd want is more corrosive free ions running amok. As an abrasive? Better to use baking soda, then you just have to deal with free radicals :grin

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use baking soda and water with a toothbrush. I got my 2013 in Sept and the battery is garantted for three years. I've had it for almost 3 1/2 years. I heard there are some electrical issues that you have to resolve if you change batteries, but if it's the normal reset this and reset that, I don't have any problems. That's why I asked the question.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Negative off first - Positive back on first

Positive first off, last on. Clean and grease (white lithium is a good choice) the battery terminal hardware.

IMPORTANT

BATTERY REMOVAL

1. Negative off first (No chance of a short circuit it wrench touches other car parts - EXCEPT in all cases if opposite battery terminal touched of course.)

2. Positive off next (Negative no longer connected - no danger of short circuit if other car parts touched.)

BATTERY INSTALL

3.. Positive back on first (Negative not yet connected - no danger of short circuit if other car parts touched.

4. Negative back on last.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Write down your radio settings (stations/channels) as they will be lost.

If a battery shop does it do not let them hook up a memory saver.

·
6,365 Posts
BATTERY REMOVAL

1. Negative off first (No chance of a short circuit it wrench touches other car parts - EXCEPT in all cases if opposite battery terminal touched of course.)

2. Positive off next (Negative no longer connected - no danger of short circuit if other car parts touched.)

BATTERY INSTALL

3.. Positive back on first (Negative not yet connected - no danger of short circuit if other car parts touched.

4. Negative back on last.
Yep...you're right..I got too cute with the brevity. Thanks for the correction.

·
Registered
466 Posts
QUOTE=d0ugmac1;5415066]Positive first off, last on. Clean and grease (white lithium is a good choice) the battery terminal hardware.

IMPORTANT

BATTERY REMOVAL

BATTERY INSTALL

4. Negative back on last.[/quote]

This is the correct way to replace a battery.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Write down your radio settings (stations/channels) as they will be lost.

If a battery shop does it do not let them hook up a memory saver.
Why is it not wise to hook up a memory saver? Will he have to reset anything else besides the radio stations and the clock?

·
Registered
239 Posts
See above post and link.

You will probably also lose any settings you have entered in the maintenance section of the Vehicle Information Display, i.e. for oil change reminders etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Battery 2011

I also lost my automatic window in my 2011 Sentra. Its in the manual how to make it work again. As far as how old the battery is, mine wasn't 5 years and the car kept dying on my every time I put it in drive right after I started the car. Really annoying, I got it tested and it was a little weak (358cca) original was 410cca. Had to change it, now the car doesn't die.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
See above post and link.

You will probably also lose any settings you have entered in the maintenance section of the Vehicle Information Display, i.e. for oil change reminders etc.
I am not smart enough to do that. I also don't put many miles on the car so will only be taking it in once a year for oil changes,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts